Friday, September 10, 2010

Card Box or Stamped Image File

This was my afternoon project.  I was trying to find a place to store some stamped and colored images. I've got the expandable file folders I take with me to classes and what not but I wanted something pretty for my desk that could hold some of my current ones. So, that was the seed of inspiration. Here's some pics of the process and a little explanation.

Score 2 pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock at 2" and 6 1/2".   Turn 90 degrees and score at 2 1/2" and at 8". Now cut out the corners like in the next pic.


Choose one of the panels to be the front. On the back piece cut all the edges to 1/2" and score. Fold under and tape the top edge. 



Now cut decorative panels for sides and front. You will need
(2) 1/2" x 6"
(1) 5 1/2 x 4
(1) 1 1/2 x 4
I chose to distress mine and used Tim Holz "Orange Marmalade" to do it. See how it turned the pink paper to a sort of peachy pink. I really like it.


 I also chose to add one more layer of decorative paper. That is up to you.
Score the top flap 1/2" from original fold



 Tape back and front together on the bottom flap as shown in both pics


Now place glue on side panels and bring together as shown in the pic below. To get a good seal use your bone folder, a nail file, knitting needle.. lol. Anything skinny to get down inside the pocket and secure the sides well.
 And here's a side view of the finished project

I added the scalloped Nestabilities with a stamped image by Stampendous called "Fresh Bloom". It was stamped with white pigment ink and embossed with clear. Then I used the Orange Marmalade distress ink on a sponge along with hints of hot pink pigment ink. I then buffed the embossed lines with a paper towel to bring them back to white.

And now I think I need a nap.. lol. 





1 comment:

Jan Hunnicutt said...

I read through your tutorial for your card box, very nice! I think I'd love to try one :)