Monday, October 11, 2010

Altered Truvia Box

Warning.. there's going to be a lot of pics.. lol!
Here's a few side shots
And here's a close up of the compass on the front that I added Crystal Effects to.

I am a very visual learner so pictures speak volumes to me.  I've had this empty Truvia box sitting on my desk for months waiting to be converted into something beautiful. I really need a safe place to store my colored Copic images. All I need is to spill coffee on one that's done.. huh? The Truvia box is the ideal size to store most of the images I color. It's 4 1/2" by 5" by 3" deep. First step was to give it a coat of Gesso.
This was just the first coat. I think I ended up giving it three coats total. I don't have any pics of the panels in progress.  I just measured and cut two layers for each panel. I crumpled up the off white panels before I distressed and stamped to really give it an old world feel. I used three different stamp sets I've had since this summer and this is the first time I've actually used them!! Sorry, I don't know the makers. (If you recognize them please leave a comment )
The distressing was all done with Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, Broken China and Peeled Paint. Here's a close up of the Globe that was popped up on the frame for the front of the box.

The actual stamping was done with Memento Coco Brown. Aren't those two shade of TH inks together just glorious?? It almost looks like aged copper. It was a Oopsy discovery from a challenge at Splitcoaststampers last week. I didn't realize I had two different colors on my sponge when I went to distress the card I was working on. Now I think it's my fav color combo!!
And last but not least.. here's my crafting tip of the day, or week.. lol. I just love passing on things I know work for me ; )

The salesperson at one of my local craft shops (For Keepsake) turned me onto this earlier this week and this is the first project I've used it on. OMG!! It is awesome!! It literally grabs as quick as a glue gun. Last night I played with some flowers (you know the ones, where you cut off the petals.. here's a great tutorial at Splitcoaststampers). I didn't have to clamp the flowers or anything to let them dry. My only suggestion is to play with this glue before you use it on a really special project. It has a different texture and does tend to string a bit, especially when you first use it. By no means is that a deterrent.. it is too FAB!! It just takes a little getting used to.
So here's a quick rundown on products:
Truvia box
Crystal Effects
Papers : Bazzill
Stamps: Unknown (but I know someone will let me know soon )
**Edit** The wonderful Julie at Splitcoaststampers just PM'd me. Now we know 2 of the 3!!
The Paper Company "Journey Icons" and
The Paper Company "World Icons"
Inks: Memento Coco Brown, Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, Broken China and Peeled Paint.
Glue: Beacon 3-in-1 Advanced


Challenges - yep.. I found
One Stop Craft Challenge - Alter It


Lynn McAuley said...

I love this awesome box, Dana!! What beautiful work!!!

Lisa Jane said...

wow Thank you for the photo's the box is fabulous a real work of art
I love the old maps and compass
Lisa ;)

Donna Heber said...


Beautiful box and collage work. I love your distressing!

Carla aka scrappypug said...

WOw this is gorgeous!

Brenda said...

Dana, I love this. And I have a truvia box in my pantry. I think I will need to empty it and play!!!

ladyjanet_56 said...

This is a lovely project, lovely colours & images, thanks for joining in at OSCC. Janet

Jeanne said...

Oh geez, I just threw out 6 of them after saving them for so long and I just had to clear the clutter. I'll have to try something like this when my next box is empty. :)