Thursday, October 7, 2010

Digi Doodle Shop Best Challenge DDSB#28

The Challenge this week over at Digi Doodle Shops Best is "Orange You Glad". If any of you have been to my blog before you know I adore coloring pumpkins. I threw a twist in with this one and tried coloring a few of them white. I love working with digi images and this is the first time I actually used paper piecing on one. The blanket was pieced by just printing the image on printed paper. My all in one scanner, copier and printer is an older one that sometimes gives me fits with Windows 7 but I refuse to switch because the ink doesn't smear when I use it with my Copics. That being said, I didn't trust it to not "eat" my designer paper which was actually from a small mat pack. So I just glued it down to a piece of copy paper. It actually worked out pretty good because it gave the blanket more depth and thickness when I glued it down. Then I added shadows around the pumpkins with my Copics.
If you look real close can you see the pumpkin seeds scattered on the blanket? Those are actually scraps (the inside of the scallops) from my Martha Stewart scallop border punch. I just punched a piece of white card stock a few times and VOILA... pumpkin seeds. (Always looking for new ways to use discarded stuff!!)
The pumpkin shapes and F A L L letters were cut out on my Cricut (my newest addition and besides my Copics quickly becoming the most used item in my craft room!!). Lastly, the background papers were distressed with Tim Holtz "Orange Marmalade" distress inks.
The pumpkins were colored with Copics and I used:
YR09, YR07, YR04 and YR65 for the orange.

YG91, YG11 and my colorless blender for the white.
Wow!! Sometimes I think it takes me almost as long to write about it as it takes to make it ; )
If you check up at the top of the page under tutorials I have a few videos (very few,,lol) but two out of the three are on coloring pumpkins. I hope it helps.
As always, I am grateful you came by to visit.
Charisma Cardz Challenge
Kaboodle Doodles Challenge
Craftalicious Challenges


Karen said...

Gorgeous Dana, love your colouring, and it's great to have you onboard the DT.

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is gorgeous Dana. Your colouring is super and I love the idea of the bits out of your punch. It has worked a treat.


Jóna said...

So great card, love your coloring !
Welcome to the DT.
Hugs, Jóna

Julie said...

Stunning! I love the way you used the die cut pumpkin shapes.

Lisa Jane said...

wow gorgeous ... love the little scattered pumpkin seeds lol
Lisa ;)

jimlynn said...

So pretty! Love it all.

WeirdCat said...

Love the way you have pumpkin framed the image, your colouring is gorgeous
Ruth x

Tracy said...

So many wonderful little "extras" you put on here Dana and they all make for a beautiful card! Pumpkin seed--whooda thunk? :) Hugs!

Sara said...

Oh I love your pumpkins! Your coloring rocks!

Diane said...

Great card, Dana! Those pumpkins and gourds look amazing and the colours are wonderful!
Diane x

Crafteezee said...

Gorgeous Dana, your colouring is awesome. Thanks for joining us at Craftalicious. Hugs Tracy x

Shirley said...

What a gorgeous card Dana. I love the way your background paper co-ordinates perfectly with your pumpkin images. Great paper piecing and thanks for the tip about the pumpkin seeds.
Perfect Autumnal colours for our challenge this week at Kaboodledoodles and we hope you will join us for our next challenge.


Judy said...

Awesome card Dana,

Very very nicely colored. I've always seen pumpkins in orange, and I bet other never thought to color them in the green before they are ripe. Super idea!


**Farrah** said...

Gosh this is brilliant! All those great pumpkins! It looks fab the way you coloured some of them white! Excellent idea with the seeds too!!
Thanks for playing at Kaboodle Doodles and good luck!

merniebug said...

Dana, Fabulous card GF. I love that flourished background with the pumpkins. Super job.