Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Watercolor Card

This is one of those projects that I had to put to paper just so I can move on.. lol! I have been trying to learn how to watercolor. So far I watch more videos than anything but I enjoy watching artists of any medium! I love youtube for that!!!  
Here's how it started:
That's 140 lb. Cold pressed watercolor paper. I taped it down using drafting tape (or painters tape will do) leaving a nice 1/4" border all the way around. Then I used a paint brush to wet the entire thing.
Next is the fun part!! I just painted on swashes of color and then splattered some on too.
How fun is that?? Then while it is still wet I sprinkled it with Sea Salt.
Then I just set that aside while the Sea salt worked its magic. While that was drying I painted my image. This is a Sweet Pea stamp available from Crafts and Me here

And here's the completed card:
So maybe now that I have this out of my system I can get some DT cards done ; )


Challenges:
Crafts and Me Challenge - Vintage/Distressed (I went with Distressing)
Party Time Tuesdays - Anything Goes

Hugs~
Photobucket

13 comments:

Crafteezee said...

Hi Dana, love the background, I had forgotten about this technique so thanks for the reminder. Thanks for joining us at Crafts and Me. Hugs Tracy x

Patti J said...

Sheesh, I see a mess in my future! Haven't watercolored in a long time! Thanks for the inspiration! Beautiful card, Dana - so happy you shared :)

Marilyn said...

Very pretty Dana, I love that effect!

Holly said...

beautiful Dana. You are a quick learner!

Katie said...

Wow Dana, I love it!! What a fabulous technique and you can watercolor paint along with copic color, along with prismacolor, gosh girlfriend does the talent never end??!!!
hugs~Brenda

Brenda said...

so, funny thing is, remember I said my youngest daughter was here today, well she signed into her gmail acct, so that comment above was me! :) Not Katie! hahaha!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderful effect you achieved on the Background- love the beautiful coloring on the image!

Diane said...

I love it, Dana! Playing with watercolurs to create fabulous backgrounds like this is such fun and I haven't done it forever so you've reminded me to have another try! These Crafts and Me images are great too!
Diane x

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow what a fab technique .. i must try it as it looks so pretty
Lisa x

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

wow! this is gorgeous! mess & all!! absolutely gorgeous!

hugs :)

Mrs A. said...

Never heard of this technique so must have a try. Your card has turned out brilliant. Love the colour combination. Hugs Mrs A.

tiggertastic said...

what a clever effect. amazing idea - thanks for sharing

hope you have a lovely weekend, Sarah x

Jacilynn said...

a work of art! super pretty card