Friday, May 13, 2011

Copic Hair and Skin Chart

I edited this as of Aug 2011. So if you downloaded a previous version you may want to take a fresh look at my bottom left Sadie. I was never happy with her skin/hair being so similar. Also added some new colors to some of the skin tones.
Let me first say that I am not totally thrilled with this, but then again, I don't think I ever will be. But I just have to get it off of my desk and move on! I do not own every flesh tone so I did what I would advise anyone to do, I used what I have.  I always notice what others use and then try them myself. My fav combo (E02, E00 and E000) came out of deep frustration from not being able to get good results from trying other peoples color combos using E11. E11 is one of those colors (like E31) that I have a lot of trouble with becoming blotchy when blended. It just doesn't play well with others, for me at least.  
My other thing is using blue when I highlight black hair. I don't like using just shades of gray because for me they end up looking... let's just say, mature.
I hope this gets you to start looking at some of your colors and trying them in new and different ways.  As always, click before saving so you can get the full size and not a thumbnail.
Also a huge shout out to the creators of these marvelous images!! 
The first girl is Cherry Emma from CC Designs
My example for Asian skin is The Birthday Girl from Mami Doodles and last but not least is Sadie with Apples from Mo's Digital Pencil

Hugs~
Photobucket

21 comments:

Holly said...

wow Dana, you put a lot of work into this but it's great to have as a reference! I usually go to E00 and YROO for my skin colors used R20 for blush. I'm intrigued by your chart though and may start experimenting more! I'm super impressed by your ethnic skin tones - especially love the middle one on the bottom row. thanks for sharing your coloring talents with us!

Lisa said...

thanks so much Dana, I added this post to my favs so I won't lose it

Julie said...

Dana,
Fabulous reference chart. Thanks so much
Hugs,
Julie

Craftyanny said...

thanks for sharing this Dana, it's fab.
Anne x

FroggieStamps said...

Great chart Dana!! I just got a Copic order yesterday and I picked out a blue to specifically try that highlighting on black hair, glad to see it looks great!

-Kelli :)

Carla S. said...

I think your coloring chart is awesome, Dana! Thanks! I never thought about highlighting black hair with blue! Instead, I've always just avoided black hair!

Brenda said...

I love your chart! I think it is fabulous! I plan on printing it for my book in fact!!!
hugs, Bren

Tracy said...

Thank you! Thank you! I love how you gave examples for each AND the numbers. Perfect reference material. Hope you have a great weekend!

Stacey G.- 2 Craf-t-4u said...

Another great chart Dana! I have Prismas, so I will use your other chart for now. But when I get a few more Copics this one will come in handy! I am still afraid of them, so this will be perfect! Thanks for the tips, i need all the help I can get with coloring!

Becky said...

These are great Dana. Thanks so much :).

kurlygirl said...

This is a wonderful chart! So helpful, especially to beginners!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Thanks Dana, I enjoy seeing what combinations work well for other people, great color chart!

Uma said...

thank you, its really helpful - I might consider getting copic sketch markers now

Anne Fenton said...

Dana, I love all your work...your surfer is so cute!!
I lovvvve your color charts.
hugz

Colleen Holmes said...

Dana thank you for another awesome chart! Your coloring is always over the top!! Hugz, Colleen

thescrapmaster said...

WOW Dana, I LOVE this chart! Thanks so much!
Hugs,
Samantha

Pam said...

Dana where have you been all of my cardmaking life???? I am in love with you!LOLOL! I was just playing you YouTube looking at videos and what do I run across your fab video on coloring hair and skin with prismas. Now I have been doing this for a few years now and still always look for new techniques. I have a friend that is a professional color pencil artist...(http://sherrysmithart.com/sherrysmithart/Home.html) so you see I feel a little intimidated when it comes to my little pieces of "art". My dear friend would never use oms to blend her colors. She layers and mixes like you do with paints. Her art is so reflective that it shows ever glimmer of light. Each piece looks so realistic. Thatt's what I want my cards to look like! Of course I don't see that happening. After I have viewed your video I have a little more hope! You are one talented lady! Thanks for the wonderful charts also. I have a few stamping friends near by that will love me for sharing this with them. You are a doll! Thanks so much for going through all of that trouble. It is wonderful to have that at hand. I am sorry this "comment" is so long. I will certainly be around to visit you again and again. Thank YOU!!!
Sending you a big old hug from Alabama,
Pam L.
http://stampsinc.blogspot.com/

Isbel Ahmad said...

Fabulous reference!!!!! Thanks for share. A big hug from Puerto Rico

Mickaela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mickaela Sundkvist said...

This is just wonderful! Thanks for sharing, i love the red colors you use for the red hairtones!

Love Mickaela

Elizabeth said...

Thank you som much for great tips, thank you for sharing!
Elizabeth