I started this project last fall and when I saw the new challenge in the Paper A La Mode group at The Outlawz, I just new I had to finish it!! The challenge is to alter a home decor item. Well, this "thing" didn't start life as decor, but it sure is now!! It was actually one of those hideous battle ship gray screw storage units. It belonged to my FIL and while functional, it sure wasn't purty!!! Here's a before shot:
And here's what it looks like now:
I knew I didn't want to paint this whole thing! My experience with spray paint on plastic is not the best, the slightest scratch and it comes right off. This is going to be working drawers in my craft room, so it's going to get some use. When I was in like 5th or 6th grade we did a project where we covered a bottle with masking tape and then rubbed it with brown shoe polish (way before Distress Inks were around..lol) and it ended up looking like worn leather. So I tried that:
I did that all over the outsides. For where the drawer fronts are I removed all of the drawers and covered those portions with Washi Tape.
I did add some distress ink to the outside. I am a nut for vintage images and I save a lot of them! You can find lots of great ones by starting in the two links I have in my sidebar for The Vintage Moth and The Graphic Fairy. I printed a bunch of them in little sizes, cut them out and distressed them. Those are collaged all over the sides and top using Mod Podge. (yes.. lol, it really is Mod Podge even though we all say Modge Podge)
Because of the lighting it looks like the background is still just masking tape but irl it has a gorgeous vintage photo hue! Now came the part I started last fall but then stopped. It was by far the most time consuming. Making all those beads for the pulls!
To make the holes in the drawers I used another old florist trick. Heat up a piece of floral wire in a candle flame or lighter and burn it through the plastic. Works great but use the thickest wire you can find or you will end up having to drill it out a little like I did to make your jump rings fit. On some like this pic below I used some old earrings that I only had one of:
How cool is that!! I even have a few on there that are post earrings and I just glued the back. Well, I hope you liked it! I know I love it and now it's getting filled up with all my goodies!
I think my FIL would be proud : )
And oh yea.. don't forget to head over to The Outlawz and join in the altered home decor challenge in the Paper A La Mode group!