Saturday, June 25, 2011

Altered Storage Bins

I started this project last fall and when I saw the new challenge in the Paper A La Mode group at The Outlawz, I just new I had to finish it!! The challenge is to alter a home decor item. Well, this "thing" didn't start life as decor, but it sure is now!! It was actually one of those hideous battle ship gray screw storage units. It belonged to my FIL and while functional, it sure wasn't purty!!! Here's a before shot:
And here's what it looks like now:

I knew I didn't want to paint this whole thing! My experience with spray paint on plastic is not the best, the slightest scratch and it comes right off. This is going to be working drawers in my craft room, so it's going to get some use. When I was in like 5th or 6th grade we did a project where we covered a bottle with masking tape and then rubbed it with brown shoe polish (way before Distress Inks were around..lol) and it ended up looking like worn leather. So I tried that:
I did that all over the outsides. For where the drawer fronts are I removed all of the drawers and covered those portions with Washi Tape.
I did add some distress ink to the outside. I am a nut for vintage images and I save a lot of them! You can find lots of great ones by starting in the two links I have in my sidebar for The Vintage Moth and The Graphic Fairy. I printed a bunch of them in little sizes, cut them out and distressed them. Those are collaged all over the sides and top using Mod Podge. (yes.. lol, it really is Mod Podge even though we all say Modge Podge)
Because of the lighting it looks like the background is still just masking tape but irl it has a gorgeous vintage photo hue! Now came the part I started last fall but then stopped. It was by far the most time consuming. Making all those beads for the pulls! 
To make the holes in the drawers I used another old florist trick. Heat up a piece of floral wire in a candle flame or lighter and burn it through the plastic. Works great but use the thickest wire you can find or you will end up having to drill it out a little like I did to make your jump rings fit.  On some like this pic below I used some old earrings that I only had one of:
How cool is that!! I even have a few on there that are post earrings and I just glued the back. Well, I hope you liked it! I know I love it and now it's getting filled up with all my goodies!
I think my FIL would be proud : )
And oh yea.. don't forget to head over to The Outlawz and join in the altered home decor challenge in the Paper A La Mode group!  

Hugs~
Photobucket

20 comments:

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Dana, this is one stunning storage unit!! I love those pulls that you have created...gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this cool project! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Dorcas said...

Really cool, Dana! I know just the type of drawers. I used to have one in my craftroom til I got so sick of looking at it and dumped it in my husband's workshop. lol After looking ar your creation I'm thinking maybe I shouldve hung onto it.... hmm well I could get it back and by now its already distressed!

Sharri said...

Dana this is fabulous!!! I love the bead pulls! I have a few of these storage bins in my basement and might have to give this a try!

jimlynn said...

Amazing!!!! So pretty and useful too. You certainly have a LOT of patience - but it paid off! Wonderful.
Lynn

Patti J said...

You are so clever! Thanks for sharing!!!

CardArTart said...

It looks wonderful and what a great storage spot for all those little bits and pieces that get lost!

Brenda said...

How fabulous is that!! Love the bead pulls. The vintage pics at the top look fabulous as does that washi tape!! Love it! Bren

Carol McCain said...

Awesome work Dana, I am going to try to do something like that myself. Wonderful idea, but you always have been very creative.
Carol

Michele Oliver said...

I love this, so amazing and I am sure it will brighten up your craftroom. Wonderful!

Sheree said...

Wow! What a difference! I love all of your work Dana... When I grow up I want to be just like you! lol You come up with the most fantastic ideas!

Trina said...

What a creative way to spruce this cabinet up! Do you think that floral wire trick might work with some shrinky dinks that I didn't make a big enough hole in before I baked them? :s

Kathleen said...

Fantastic storage unit. It surely will brighten your craft room.
Kathleen x

Clare *Littlebear* said...

Oh wow! This is amazing. Truly unique.
Clare x

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow that is stunning. I love the little beads
Lisa x

Linda w said...

This is so beautiful, well worth all the work. I'd spend all day just gazing at it if it was mine lol. Hugslin

Sharon Keanly said...

Oh Dana, you clever girl. This altered storage unit is amazing. So very purty...lol Well done! hugs Sharon xx

Anne Fenton said...

What a great job...love it g/f
Hugz

Marie-Anne said...

That looks stunning.

Marie-Anne

Jane H said...

Dana I think this is amazing!!!!!!

sleeplesswonder said...

Wow this turned out beautiful. I love it, you would never of guessed what it looked like before. Great job.
Hugs,
Melissa D
mkds312@hotmail.com
sleeplesswonder.blogspot.com