Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy Fathers Day, again !

When I saw this image at icopic from Wild Rose Studios Milton line called Gone Fishing I knew it would be my hubby's Fathers Day card from either myself or one of the kids.
It is absolutely perfect for my fisherman husband!! So first things first, he was stamped with Memento Ink onto Copic X-Press It paper. That link is going to take you to the papers page so you can check out the awesome new paper icopic is carrying from Cryogen. It looks amazing and I can't wait to give it a try! Did you also notice those amazing Brads from Wild Rose Studios? I used the ones from the Milton set.
Here's a close up of my hubby {grin}
Here's the color swatches for the copics I used:

So here's a little insight into my husband.. he's not a fru-fru kind of guy. On top of that Khaki and green are the basis of his wardrobe, even when not fishing. So I knew I wanted to use Kraft cardstock for the basis of his card but it needed a little oomph.  So if you can take all the pics here's some quick shots of  how I created the background papers using my airbrush system. Please note, that is only the trigger and mechanisms to attach to an air compressor. You need to purchase an air compressor  here or if using one you may already have you need to make sure it can be adjusted to not exceed 80 psi. 45 - 50 is what I've found to be the optimum setting.

First I taped down the Kraft (yes, it's Kraft.. the glare from my Ott lite makes it look cream) onto my gridded mat. The grid mat isn't totally necessary but I like to have nice straight lines and this helps me.
It also gives you that perfectly clean border around the edge. Next I taped down a stencil I had picked up at Michaels. These aren't in the scrapbooking section but where they sell all of the stencil products for stenciling your walls.
Next I airbrushed in 2 different shades of green. I think that gives it much more depth
I use painters tape because it isn't near as tacky as regular masking tape and it pulls up off your paper easier. Pulling at an angle away from your paper helps to eliminate any tearing, but sometimes it still happens. No worries, here's how you can fix that. See the close up of where that exact thing happened to me:
Can you see the rough patch where it started to tear? It was a lot more obvious in real life (irl.. in case you've ever seen that abbreviation and wondered what the heck it meant). No worries. Use your bone folder to smooth the paper back down:
Viola!! Crisis averted ; )
If you don't own the Copic Airbrush System you could always try the Grip and Air can first to see how you like it. Check the quote from Marianne Walker in the product review about using the air can method. I agree 100%.
I hope you all have a great week! Don't forget to enter our challenge at icopic this week. 


The Stamping Boutique - Men Only
Cupcake Craft Challenge - Boy, oh boy, oh boy
Hooked on Crafts - Anything Goes (Their very first challenge folks, let's give 'em a good turn out)
Incy Wincy Designs - Fathers Day/Masculine
Make It Monday - Always Anything Goes
Make It Monday with Kraft Outlet - Fathers Day must include Kraft
Creative Inspirations Challenge - Fathers Day


Frea said...

Hi Dana, great card and I love the way you made that background paper! Hugs, Frea

Lisa Jane said...

OH wow that background is amazing . its so effective
He will love the card
Lisa x

jimlynn said...

Great image, background, coloring....everything!

Patti J said...

Awww...too much fun! Darling image, and as always, your talent amazes me! Great card, Dana!

Dana said...

I saw your card on Make it Monday and came to your blog for a closer look - it's awesome! What a great card for a guy - the background is a great touch. Your coloring is fantastic!

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow! What a stunning card! Your stamping and coloring is absolutely amazing. LOVE that airbrushed background. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at The Kraft Journal. :)

Jennifer Shults said...

This looks wonderful! Your coloring and your airbrushing are just fantastic! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my art journaling post, I truly appreciate it.

Jacee said...

Oh Dana, how lovely, such a fab paper, a great card for fathers day.
Hugs Jacee

Delphine said...

Gorgeous card, Dana! I love the image and your background paper looks fantastic! Thanks for joining us at Cupcake and good luck! Delphine xx

Mel said...

Amazing card Dana, beautifully colored and I love how you made your own background.

Elizabeth (Beth) Moore said...

Dana... I adore this card... love the darling image and the background stamping. Fabulous work. In fact, I love this card so much I plan to showcase it during our Feature Me Friday post at The Kraft Journal on Friday June 24, please make sure you stop by the blog to see your project feature and to pick up your Featured Artist button too! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Kraft Journal!!

Lisa Jane said...

oops forgot to say -
Thanks for joining us at Make it Monday this week
Lisa x

Renee said...

You are incredibly talented. Love the bg. Great job. Thanx for joining us this week at Incy Wincy. Hope to see you back again soon.
Renee DT

ThePurplePlace said...

I totally LOVE this card and was wondering where you found your FUN Fishermen! As you know, I love stamps/images with a bit of whimsy, so this would be one I would like!!

I think ALL your cards are so fun and colored amazingly well. I'm so happy you are enjoying your new ABS. I really love mine and find it pretty easy to use too!

PS: The new Faber Castell line for Stampers are all such cool products. I used them first when I took a workshop with Jennifer McGuire and now I want MORE! They are just really starting to hit the stores and I know YOU would love them

The Gelatos, are also very good and go with the sets! :)

See you are are Pinterest! I'm following you and I see all the fabulous PURPLE pictures too! Love them!!

Chrissy said...

AWESOME!!...great background, fabulous card.

Thanks for sharing with us at ‘Make it Monday’


Don’t forget. .if you leave a comment on another entrant, mention that you saw their card on ‘Make it Monday’ for a chance at second prize.. the more you comment on and mention MIM, the more chances at winning second prize.

Brenda said...

Wow Dana, another fabulous card! Really love the background tutorial. Love when you use other crafty stuff for your cards!! Love, love the little fisherman. I can totally relate to your husbands wardrobe! my husband wears camo shorts or Levi's. That is it! I wish women's wardrobes were so easy!!!
hugs, Bren

Lisa said...

Love your colouring on this! I found you on the Outlawz follow me thread. What a great start to my blog following fest today!

Lisa x

Marie-Anne said...

What a great card!


Anne Fenton said...

Dana you are so talented...I love your card! Your background is amazing. You always have your recipe so organized. Just love it g/f.

Stacey G.- 2 Craf-t-4u said...

Great guys card Dana! Love how you did the back round too! Dresses it up a bit! Thanks for sharing your technique! Looks a like a perfect card for your hubby!

Larisa said...

I saw your project on *Take it Mobday* and I am charmed with it! Love the color of your card and that darling image!

Tracy said...

Good grief girl! You've been on a roll lately! Awesome projects--ALL of them, and your art journal pages are out of this world. I'll be studying all these to see what I can learn. You're amazing!

Faye said...

Gorgeous colouring and fab papers. Love it. Thanks for playing at Cupcake again. x

Liza said...

A gorgeous male card. Thanks for joining us at CCC.

Liza x

laney said...

Fabulous card Dana!!
Thanks for playing at Creative Inspirations this time would love to see you play with us again

Collette said...

Wonderfully done. Thanks so much for sharing with us the deets on what went into making the card. I agree w/you & Marianne on the air can vs compressor, but I never seem to have a hunk of change in my pocket when I need some air, but I do have just enough for the air can, lol ... we're not adding them up, you see, so I won't know the long term damage. Thanks so much for sharing your project with us at The Stamping Boutique. It's wonderful.

Kelly said...

This card is great Dana! Love the hand made paper, i'm going to have to try that! This is a perfect Father's Day card.
Thanks so much for joining us at Hooked On Craft Challenges!
Kelly (Hooked On Craft DT)

Maureen Merritt said...

That background is awesome! I love that! The image is so cute and perfect for my boys (hubby and FIL included!)