Sunday, June 12, 2011

Art Journaling Page

So you've already heard me say how much I love Pinterest. One of the things that has really inspired me on there is seeing all of the amazing art journals others have pinned.  Anne Fenton and Sandi Huggett are both amazing friends with a wealth of drawing talent. Both are drawing digi's and if you join The Outlawz they are making some of them available for free. I am sure they will both be BIG names in the digi world in the very near future. Anne has been encouraging me for months to draw, she claims anyone can do it. Yea, right.. (that's what I was thinking but don't tell her.. lmbo!!) Well, I have been practicing and I thought a journal will be the perfect place to not only record my progress, but get down to paper some of those ideas and techniques I want to try, just anything my little heart desires. So... here's my first page:

This was done in mixed media including Prismacolor pencils, acrylic paints, paint pens, a sharpie, iridescent medium and stamping.  I think that was it. The saying is a quote from a song by "Fuel" that has always stuck with me. My daughter had a hard time reading it so in case you do it says "All she keeps inside, isn't on the label. " I love that and I think it describes most woman I know. We aren't just wives, daughters, mothers, etc. 
Here's a close up of each side:
I really think I've found a new passion!! This was done on a Bristol Paper journal which is great for colored pencils because of the tooth.  Now I need to make one for some copic projects too! Check out the one my bestie Bren made yesterday!!
And I have to give a shout out to my Kurly Q Heather. I was thinking of you while creating this! If only our curls good be so manageable, huh?
Thanks for looking and I hope your weekend has been a good one!
**Edit added 6/14**
 Splitcoaststampers added a gallery just for art journal PAGES. They always had categories for altered books and for decorating the outsides of journals but now we have a gallery for our pages themselves!! Thanks Lydia!! You are the best!



Trina said...

Dana, you so need a whooping! I'm so mad you drew this awesomeness and have been acting like you couldn't draw! Go get me a switch! :b

Ann said...

Dana ~ This is sooooo gorgeous; I love it so much!!! When you start selling your digis I can't wait to color this! ;)

Frea said...

Hi Dana, you've got to be kissing, did you really draw this??? I'm stunned!! This is just soooo amazingly good, wow you are sooo talented!!! I am in awe!! Hugs, Frea

Brenda said...

OH MY FREAKING GOSH!!! I am going to say it again. I knew you were talented, but holy cow!!!! This is seriously AMAZING. So I can't even pretend I will do one of these, cuz when I say I can't draw, I mean it!!! You however, have been lying!! LOL
Luv you girlie~Bren
Oh, and thanks for the shout out!!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Wow Dana your art journal is fabulous, I love it! She's a real beauty and you drew her yourself, wow :) Very cool!

I stopped by to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today. I learned the Copic bleaching technique from you :) so I need to thank you! :)

Patti J said...

WOW! Just WOW! Incredible piece of art, dear friend - rock on!!!

Anne Fenton said...

Dana you are amazing, if I could only do hair like that...and YES you can keep it up! I love your first journal page and you have inspired me to do one too. Yee Haw a new passion!! Beautiful first page g/f!!! All I can say is WOW!!
Hugz Anne

Stacey G.- 2 Craf-t-4u said...

This is gorgeous Dana! You are extremely talented! Your blending and shading is amazing! I love her eyes!

Sylvia said...

oh my word.. Dana.. *gasp*.. this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! You are sooooo talented, lady! It's incredible!
I absolutely agree with Anne - NOT!
I don't think anyone can draw... but YOU definitely CAN :-)
Love this journaling page and can't wait to see more and more and more... :-))))

{hugs} Sylvia

Marie-Anne said...

That's a gorgeous journaling page!


Lynne Armstrong said...

OMG Dana...I'm with Trina & Bren lol...I thought you said you couldn't draw??!! This is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!! Your pages are absolutely gorgeous. I think you should get a shop going with Anne & Sandi and start selling three have serious talent :)
Hugs xx

Sassylassy said...

Wow girl I guess you can draw. Who ha you did an absolutely amazing job with the first page of your journaling book. Her eyes are absolutely AMAZING. I can't wait for MORE!!!
Hugs Bonnie

Fernanda said...

this has left me breathless u r sooooooooooooooo talented! TFS

ThePurplePlace said...

You never cease to AMAZE me and this is another wonderful example of your fabulous artistic skills!

WOW WOW WOW!! Love it!! :)


PS: I'm also loving Pinterest and have found some fabulous images's a lot of fun, simply to browse at all the wonderful colors! :)

Anniebee said...

Oh my word!!! You have been holding out on me, girl! This is beyond awesome! Bren was right to encourage you, prod you, or whatever it took to get you to this place. I love your work with Copics and Prismas and the wonderful cards you create, but I think you may have found something you're going to love even more. I sure wish I had eyelashes like this chick's!

kurlygirl said...

Oh my Dana... I just found this post, lol! I was so surprised to see my name there! I think I was in Florida at my daughter's graduation when you posted this. I missed a bunch of stuff while I was away. Sorry I missed it earlier... but the timing must just now be right for me. :)

Stamping Bella just did a big post on Art Journaling and I wanted to do some research on it. I remembered seeing some of your posts, so I started here. And then I found this! This is just so beautiful. I can't believe you said you can't draw! You are really an artist and I hope you are realizing that through your journey. :)

I'm off to comb through the rest of your blog for your art journaling. I hope to join you on this journey when I have some extra funds to buy some supplies. Thanks for the shout out and I do wish my curls were this manageable, lol!