Monday, June 27, 2011

The Outlawz Girlz "Red, White and Blue"

Our challenge for you this week the Greeting Cards group at The Outlawz is Red, White and Blue. That doesn't mean it has to be a Fourth of July card ; ) We realize we have a lot of people participating from outside the states. In all honesty, while we do fireworks and bbq I've never really decorated for the Fourth. We always have a flag out so that's a given. I decided to color up this adorable birdhouse drawn by my good friend and teamie Anne Fenton as a Welcome to the Neighborhood card. I thought the birdhouse was perfect for that:
Please don't think Anne drew this crooked! That's all me! I created my frame with Nesties Label Seventeen. The image layer is seperate and I must've glued it down crooked. Did you know this is why fine artists look at all of their work in a mirror? Things show up when you photograph them or look at them in the mirror that your eye doesn't catch! Well, that frame and stars and everything are on top of it, so it's staying crooked.. lol! 
I used crackle medium on the frame. Man.. I've had that stuff for literally 15+ years and was shocked that it was still good! Same with all of my old acrylic paints. Amazing!! 
I used white pigment ink and white embossing powder on the stars and here's a close up of both:
Last week I saw Mary Giemza post that she had tinted Polar White Flower Soft with her copic reinkers! I had white (it's the only one I do have besides the autumn and christmas mix) so I mixed up a few colors and added a flower garden at the bottom of the frame and to some of the flowers that Anne has drawn:
This was a lot of fun!! 
Hopefully you will get a chance to pop over to The Outlawz and join the Greeting Card challenge and show us your red, white and blue creations!

Hugs~
Photobucket

12 comments:

Marilyn said...

Like this card a lot Dana! Love the colour combo and the stars are the perfect added touch.

Sherry Kushibab said...

Sweet card - lots of details. Love the coloring and that raffia on the mailbox is so cute!!! Great tip of coloring the flower soft with copics, hadn't thought of that....Happy Fourth GF!!

Brenda said...

Wow Dana, what a fabulous card. First off, the image is amazing like Anne! You took it to another level thought with the raffia and the flower soft. The stars are so gorgeous, love that you stamped and embossed them. Gorgeous!! Love the crackle frame!! fabulous card!
Hugs~Bren

NancyD said...

Love all the details from the embossed image on the stars to the little flowers with what looks like flowersoft. Very nice card.

Eiglas said...

..I do crooked to a good degree too Hunni...! LOL! Superb colouring and a neat card!
Must just thank you for your lovely comment on my Capri cars - I really appreciate it! Thank you!
Hugs
Eiglas
x

Reflections from Granny said...

Dana I love how you pulled in this adorable stamp and used the patriotic colors, just mind blowing how you always get the colors perfect.

Hugs, Lori m

Jacee said...

Great card Dana, love all the detail.
Hugs Jacee

Colleen Holmes said...

Dana, Awesome red, white and blue card with Anne's beautiful image! Love the style with all the extra's added...love the tip of the mirror for it will save me lots of time...I do the photo's!! Thanks and Hugz, Colleen

Anniebee said...

Wow! I love this!!! The stars look fabulous! I'm beginning to sound like a broken record (as my dear old dad used to say), but your coloring is just some of the best there is!

Just keep 'em comin'!
Anniebee

Teresa Arsenault said...

Terrific blog, Dana. Thanks for starting the blog follower group at the Outlawz. I have a little blog at http://www.tickellexpressions.blogspot.com. I hope you will come take a look. I am following you now and I'll definitely be back for another visit.
Blessings,
Teresa

Tracy said...

Boy you really packed on the different techniques on this one and it's so cute, crooked or not. LOL I just found some of Anne's freebies and she is very talented. Totally fun card girlie! hugs!

Anne Fenton said...

Dana I love your birdhouse, and I love the raffia you added. And yes g/f I did daw the birdhouse a little crooked lol.
Thanks for using my image.
Hugz Anne