Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Tutorial and a Card!

Two posts today so make sure you check out my Kenny K card too : )
Hi everyone!! Today I have tutorial on coloring translucent balloons. This is to go along with the challenge we have for you this week at icopic which is Translucent Coloring
First the tutorial and then I'll show you my finished card.




Easy, peasy huh? lol!! Even though I have done balloons before  I think every single color variation takes a little bit of playing and practicing. As promised, here's the finished card:
The image is Swiss Pixie Birthday Gretel from CC Designs. What a perfect stamp for practicing translucent coloring!! Here's a close up so you can get a better look at the balloons:

 My sentiment is from Lawn Fawn and here's a close up of that:
I used the Girly Polka Dots 6x6 Paper Pack from Wild Rose Studio and  {wowzers} I love them!! I added a strip of Washi Tape on the left hand side.  Here's the one I used.
I used Tim Holtz Distress ink in both Spun Sugar and Worn Lipstick to accent the punched oval.
Here's color swatches of the copics I used:


I think the only other details are that I used Memento Ink in Tuxedo Black on X-Press It Blending card.  I hope to see your card in the challenge this week!

I created the oval and border using a Martha Stewart punch.

Hugs~
Photobucket






Challenges:
The Spotlight Challenge - Try something new (my oval I cut with my Martha Stewart corner punch)
KB Cute Monday - Anything Goes
Make it Monday - Always Anything Goes
Ooh La La Creations - Birthdays
Aly's Sunday Challenge - Cupcakes
2 Sisters - Anything Goes

28 comments:

Jacee said...

Love the card Dana and the tuts brill, those balloons look fab!
Hugs Jacee

Trina said...

I watched the video and have decided that you are some kind of coloring genius! Thanks for the tutorial! Your card looks great, too. Love the strip of washi tape!

Astrid said...

Its amazing Dana, such a great video.
I am gonna trye it. Loved the way you colour.
The card is great to.
Hugs Astrid

ahlers5 said...

Great tutorial. I'll be trying this!

Marie-Anne said...

Thanks for the tutorial!

Your card is super!

Marie-Anne

Sherry Kushibab said...

Great tutorial Dana - enjoy that you shared your mistakes, we all make them - copics are a process and I always play a little before I get what I really want. Nice job for a lefty :)

Chelle said...

Great tutorial...loved seeing the mistakes. I am stilling learning to use my copics and have a similiar stamp.
Beautiful card.

Dorcas said...

Hi Dana! Great tutorial! I have balloons on my card coming out Thursday but of course I use pencils and kinda work the opposite to you, front to back. But man, watching you do that completely and explaining color charts etc in 13 minutes made me a bit sick. lol Copics are SO Much faster than pencils!!! I am going gray coloring in one image while you're all playing with a dozen!
Anyway, great tutorial. Thanks For sharing!

Brenda said...

What a fabulous card. Should have stopped here first with my coffee this morning. Now I don't have time to watch it before work. You know though, I will be back tonight!! Can't wait to watch, your coloring is so fab and those balloons are amazing!!!
hugs, Bren

Mel said...

Dana, thank you for sharing how to color the balloons, it is fabulous and so is your card.

Eskimo Frosting said...

wow you colouring is superb love it.

Saw your card on make it monday and came for a closer look and I am so glad that i did.

Jayne
x

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Great tutorial.
Renee

Lissa said...

Love that I'm not the only one to not be able to do marker to marker perfectly. I too use the acetate trick. I LOVE it! Plus, I keep a sheet for each of the color families and it keeps... I printed it out on my printer which block was for which color. Then I can go back to it later. Kind of like a palette. ;)

Anywhoo. LOVE the balloons! Thanks for the tips.

Brenda said...

Yup, another excellent tutorial!! Keep em coming!!
hugs, Bren

Tracy said...

YAY! I just saw this technique done with this same image but without any instructions so a HUGE thank you for showing me how it's done. You made it look easy although I know it will take a little practice. Hugs!

Shirley-anne said...

Hi Dana ,this is inspirational and with a lovely card as well .Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday .

gillyflower said...

what a great technique and lovely card
thanks for entering it into our challenge at crafty cardmakers
gill x

Tracy S said...

Soo very cute. I love the look of the balloons and how you can see one through the other. I will have to come back and watch the video on how to do that. Thanks for sharing that.

Sandy G said...

Saw your card at Make It Monday. Love the colours and the balloons are very realistic, great card

Netty said...

Wow love that tutorial, I'm gonna have to try that out. Adorable card. Thanks for joining our Anything Goes challenge at 2 Sisters. Annette xx

Colleen Holmes said...

Dana you did an awesome job with the tutorial and thank you for sharing!! Can't wait to try doing it! Love your card with the bright and cheerful colors and as always perfect coloring! Hugz

Lisa Jane said...

Fab technique, thanks for sharing
Thanks for joining us at Make it Monday
Lisa x
Don't forget......... if you leave a comment on another entry, mention that you saw their card on "Make It Monday" for a chance at second prize. The more entries you comment on the more chance you have of winning second prize.

Frances said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for your visit to my blog, I'm your follower now! hugs, Frances

Linda said...

Dana, this is simply gorgeous!! Love it!!
Hugs, Linda

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Thanks for doing the translucent balloons tutorial for us, they look wonderful! I like the way your card turned out too, nice dotted background :)

Donna Heber said...

Dana,

Another amazing card! I just love how you created those translucent balloons. Beautiful!

Ann said...

Love your card Dana; the balloons look amazing! Your tutorials are always well done. :)

Gina L said...

Another adorable card. I just saw it featured on the ATS blog: http://atsblog.typepad.com/ats/