Friday, July 8, 2011

Art Journal - Happy

Wow!! Check out blogger! So far I love the improvements, now let's just see if this posts without any hitches.. lol! Sorry blogger but you have been quite buggy these past few months ;p
I wasn't going to share this but after sharing it with my Outlawz girlz I decided what the heck. What I don't like about it is that it started as a practice in sketching. So it's really way to big for the page but I was only focusing on the eyes, nose and mouth. Here's my first sketch:
She looks like she's got a 5:00 shadow doesn't she?!!  If you've been following me at all then you know that I really have been practicing sketching and drawing for awhile now. This week I purchased an online class after watching Suziblutube which led me to her blog which led me to her workshops. I will say this is probably the best $35 I've ever spent!  I took her Goddess and the Poet workshop which includes like 17 real time videos (each one at least 25 minutes long), PDF's that include templates, resource materials, etc.  One important thing I've learned from her is that your hands retain memory, meaning the more you do something, the easier it becomes. Sort of like learning to tie your shoes ; )
This was a practice in sketching so to be able to color her with colored pencils, acrylic paints and yes.. even copics (woo hoo) I layed down a thin layer of acrylic paint to lock in the graphite.
One thing about art... you've got to learn to work past ugly.  Then the fun begun! My first layer was prisma pencils:
I have absolutely fell in love with gel medium. It creates a barrier between layers so I was able to even use some copic coloring on top of prismas and acrylic paints! I love it!!
Like I said, this was done on a large sketch pad so I cut out her face and glued her down with gel medium and just started adding color, hair, etc:
My favorite part of this is using my Ippity stamp as her necklace!! Here's a close up of that:

Isn't that cute?? You've got to check out all of the great stuff from my Ippity chic Rona!! I have seriously never been so impressed with rubber mostly because I am a notoriously poor stamper. I always manage to rock the stamp and get ink everywhere! This stamped perfectly!! That swirly dark spot you see on her neck was from another swirl stamp that I put in her hair. Here's more close ups but no more commentary.. lol! I've got to get to the hospital. Please pray for my niece who is having surgery on her liver this morning. Her name is Aimee and she's only 18. 



Her eyelids say "happy" and "heart". Thanks for looking!!
hhmmm.. I don't see the labels box anymore. Oh well, I'll have to figure that out later : )

Hugs~
Photobucket

22 comments:

NickelNook said...

Oh Dana! It's fabulous...just fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing the start to finish!...Nancy :o)

Cor* said...

Dana, this is simply spectacular. So neat to see her come to life! Way to go!

Guylou said...

Dana!!! This is absolutely gorgeous!!!! You are such a wonderful artist!!!
Cheers!
G

Becky said...

Dana, This is stunning!! I think it is fabulous.

Brenda said...

Dana, this is absolutely amazing. You are so talented. This would be so gorgeous on a 12X12 canvas and hung on MY scraproom wall! hehe!! Seriously girlfriend, this is FABULOUS!!!
Love it, Bren

Anne Fenton said...

Dana she is great...love it....g/f you are sooo talented.
Hugz
Anne

Beverly said...

Great work, thanks for showing the process you went through. Lifting a prayer up for your Aimee right now :)

Jacilynn said...

I. Am. Floored!!! this is seriously amazing. I'm in awe. love it!

faithnme said...

Dana is this absolutely Beautiful.. I just love that you are expanding your creativity... Gorgeous work my friend :0)))

Hugs

Sherry Kushibab said...

Dana, you are just rockin on this art stuff - she is just beautiful....lovely, sexy eyes! Hugs.

Cheryl said...

Wow - I am so glad you shared this! Beautiful work

Danni said...

I admire you for trying new things..this is fabulous!

Reflections from Granny said...

Dana can you here me saying WOW? This is just so amazing, thank you for sharing, I'm enjoying your new journal additions.

Hugs, Lori m dealing with buggie blogger also. :)

Colleen Holmes said...

Dana, totally gorgeous from your drawing to the finished coloring of it. The eyes, nose, lips are just amazing.... one true artist! Hugz, Colleen

Stacey G.- 2 Craf-t-4u said...

Wow Dana! This is gorgeous! So many fun layers! The eyelids are neat! The necklace is cool too! As always these pages are fantastic! Hope the surgery for your niece was a success. So scary!

Lynne Armstrong said...

WOW Dana...this is brilliant!! I too love the start to finish photos...it's great to see the process. I sooo wish I had drawing talent lol...missed that apparently when they were handing out gifts :) Loving the journey through your art...thanks for sharing it with us. Looking forward to lots more.
Hugs xx
PS Don't know that I like the new Blogger...they've moved everything!! lol

Lynne Armstrong said...

PS Forgot to say ... happy that your niece came through her op okay........and.......tags are now called labels and are on the right hand side in the menu when you do a new post :) :) :) (Well, they're on the right hand side for me but sometimes things look different on a Mac!! Just look for labels lol)

Donna Heber said...

Fabulous sketch Dana! I'm not surprised you can draw since you are so talented.

Roxann said...

WOWEEZER!! Dana, I don't have the adequate words to praise your talent! None of them are quite good enough! Just know that I love everything you do!
Hugz,
Roxann

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Wow Dana, this is so neat! She's really came to life :)

Anniebee said...

I have really missed visiting your blog every day for the past couple of weeks and I am so loving all the cool and wonderful things you've been doing in your art journals. Really fabulous stuff, girlie! Keep it coming and sooner or later, I'm gonna have to join you in this play!

Anniebee

kurlygirl said...

This is beautiful... I'll have to remember to "work past the ugly" because I have a feeling I'll have a lot of that to work past, lol!