Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Background Techniques Tutorial

It's my turn at bat to bring you a tutorial for One Crazy Stamper and you would think I would do something with copics, right? But lately I have been having so much fun playing in my art journal and a big part of that is creating backgrounds. It is actually creating backgrounds for some jewelry pieces I was making last year that got me hooked on cardmaking to begin with.
I started by covering a 8x10" piece of paper with a script stamp but you could use anything.
 I used Staz-On because in subsequent processes I am going to use wet products and I wanted the script to stay crisp. The next product that is instrumental for this was Gel Multi Medium. I prefer the matte finish but that is definitely a personal choice. I painted that onto a chunky stamp and stamped randomly all over the paper:
Depending on how thick you paint it on you can achieve some gorgeous textures:
Can you see the little peaks?? The next part is so much fun and magical to see the pattern pop through. You can also use clear embossing powder but that will make the text under the stamp shiny. This process keeps the text uniform throughout the whole piece. After the medium is dry blend in some Tim Holtz Distress Inks using the blending tool. I've used Dusty Concord, Broken China and Tumbled Glass.
Next I used the gel medium to coat a regular paper doily (found in the cake decorating sections of most craft and grocery stores) front and back.  Once dry (it dries very quickly) it is waterproof and you can use it over and over not only as a mask but also to turn it over after spraying with Fireworks and stamp with the excess spray.
Check the masks Lora is carrying!! I must have them all!
Next I used  Glimmer Mist spray. I used Gold but so many colors would've worked. 
It's really starting to look like a piece of batik fabric now. Next I added some butterfly stamps and scroll stamps again with StazOn after cutting my paper down to 5 1/2 x 5 1/2. That's the size cards I most commonly make and I wanted the scrolls to be around the outside. Those blue scrolls you see are acutally on the paper towel that was under my cardstock.
Next I diluted gel medium with water and the picked up Pearl Ex powders with a paint brush to color the butterflies. Using the gel medium acts as a binding agent and you won't have to spray with a fixative.
Stick with me, we're almost done.. lol! The only things left was to distress the edges and add the sentiment from Amy R.



Check out some of the new gorgeous shapes Lora is carrying from Spellbinders!!  I added some simple outlining here and there with a white gel pen to really make the butterflies pop out.
I hope you will enter our recipe challenge this month.  Make sure to check the challenge blog tomorrow to see what the marvelous Madge has in store for you : )

Hugs~
Photobucket

30 comments:

Susan said...

Beautiful Dana!
Susan xxox

Debbie T said...

Wow what a card, and love the way you have shown us how to achieve it. You are so good, why buy printed papers, make your own, such a load of ideas that can be done using this method. Thank you for showing us how to get this effect, so much detail. Debbie T:)

Astrid said...

Wow Dana, you make a nice card, and the background thanks for letting us see it.
Hugs Astrid

Frea said...

Hi Dana, I have only one word for this one: FANTASTIC!! What a lovely effect all those techniques. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Frea

Marilyn said...

This is beautiful Dana and so creative! I now dub you 'the background queen'!

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow thanks for showing how ... its fabulous
Lisa x

Brenda said...

Oh great, now I have to go looking for more products and then I have to find a place for them in my room. Just so I can make my own paper when there are manufacturers out there that do it for me, but no Dana has to make it better!! And make me want to try it too!! Gosh, thanks a lot!!!!
This is so amazing Dana, I must go shopping and find some of this stuff that you know about!! Just make me a list of things I never knew about until I met you!!! Like this gel medium and that OMS and glittery stuff I bought last time!! Oh well, I love you anyways!! What is the best compliment you can receive? When people copy your work, right?
Hugs~Bren

Stacey G.- 2 Craf-t-4u said...

Wow Dana! This is awesome! You are helping me to think outside the box here! I must try this sometime! It really is gorgeous!

Judy Tesla Stark said...

Beautiful work! I found your blog link on Outlawz. Judy Stark

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow, that's amazing!

Patti J said...

Yikes, Dana - you are incredible! Beautifully done, dear friend, and I love the tutorial, showing such detail on your instructions. Thanks so much for being such an inspiration!

Dorcas said...

Awesome, Dana!

jimlynn said...

WOW! This is stunning! Just beautiful. I'm really thinking you have more creativity in you finger tip than I have in my whole body!!! Just beautiful, Dana.
Lynn

Tracy said...

Fabulous tute girlfriend! Your card turned out beautifully. I think I have most of those supplies so might have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing this!

Marie-Anne said...

OMG, it's gorgeous! I love the colors you've used.

Marie-Anne

Linda w said...

What a fantastic tutorial, the finished project is so beautiful Totally inspirational. Hugs lin

Marion said...

Wow! Awesome tutorial Dana. I really must have a go at this.
Thanks for sharing.
hugs
Marion

Sherry Kushibab said...

Darn you - I'm preparing to move and your making me want to play and get all inky and stuff!!!! Love the tutorial - you always explain so well, good thing for archives so I can come back in a few weeks and use you for my inspiration. Stay cool girlfriend!!! Hugs.

Cheryl said...

Great tutorial Dana, you never fail to amaze!
Hugs Cheryl

Mel said...

WOW, Dana, this is FABULOUS. Thank you so much for the tutorial, now you have me out searching for gel medium lol.

Angela B. said...

Gorgeous background!!! Love this technique! Thanks for sharing!! :D

Pink Crafter said...

Your papers are gorgeous! I just might have to give this a try.

Rona said...

WOWSA!!! this is absolutely gorgeous!! GREAT tutorial :)

SiskiyouSue said...

Just gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial, this would be fun to try.

Lori m said...

Dana this is beyond gorgeous, I can't wait to try this, thank you for sharing your art with everyone.

Hugs, Lori m

Donna Heber said...

Stunning Dana and a wonderful tutorial!

Teresa Arsenault said...

Wow! That is absolutely stunning, Dana.

Blessings,
Teresa

Anne Fenton said...

Wow Dana this is amazing...I love it...I'll have to try it.
hugz
Anne

Anniebee said...

AWESOME!!! And now you're making your own designer paper too! Someone needs to hire you, girl... you'd make a fantastic designer for one of the paper companies, like K & Co. ... truly!

Anniebee

Sara I. said...

So amazing Dana! Such gorgeous, rich colors and gorgeous sparkle. Thank you for sharing this - really inspired me this morning!