Thursday, August 25, 2011

Art Journal Page

Sometimes I feel my cardmaking friends must be thinking "Uuggh, she's at it again".. lol! Other friends I know are jumping on the Art Journal band wagon with me.  Heather recently posted her first page and it blew me away!!  
I am still doing portraits because that is what interests me at the moment. I still work on other doodles and sketches but that is the bulk of what I personally am trying to learn. 
Before I lose you with my pictorial overload, another good friend Jan from She's Gone Digital has created an Art Journal Linky party. You can read all about it here. I  hope you will join us over there!!
Ok, back to my sketch. This was a practice of a three quarters portrait. 
A close up of my fav part that got covered when she was painted:
I laughed when I saw what is right above "heal". Can you see "head-strong".  I'm a Taurus and that term has been used to describe me a time or two : )
One last pic and a thought. I started this excercise of a 3/4 pose about three weeks ago. Then I got very frustrated because of the previous mention of the bleeding through ink. I eventually had to use about 10 layers of gesso before it stopped. What that did was cover my original sketch which I liked much more than the final outcome. I share all of that to simply say, I have found I LOVE pure graphite sketching and sort of wish now I had left her in her original sketch form. But this was afterall a painting excercise. But here is a pic of my most recent sketch I did over this past weekend. This one I am quite proud of:
She's 9x12 and was done with graphite. Thanks for looking! 
Oh, and in case you didn't know, the fabulous Lydia of SplitcoastStampers created an Art Journal page category for us!! They already had a category for altering journals (showing the outsides) but not one just for our pages. I emailed her and voila, she worked her magic! How cool is she??!!
She's Gone Digital - Art Journal Pages Linky Party
Craft Us Crazy - Anything Goes
Hooked on Crafts - Things with Wings
Flutter By Wednesdays - Anything Goes (must include a fairy, angel or butterfly)
Make it Monday - Anything Goes
Creative Craft Challenges - Anything But a Card


Karenliz said...

Your cards are always beautiful but your art journal pages are awe inspiring! Keep them coming!

Tracy said...

WOW oh WOW oh WOW!!! That graphite drwing is amazing! Her hair....I can't stop looking at it. You go girl!!
Guess what! I bought a small art journal! YAY! Now I have to actually use it. LOL
You've given me so many cool ideas and inspiration. Thanks my friend!

jimlynn said...

What can I saw other than AWESOME!!!!! You really need to send me some of your creativity!!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Wow Dana! What fabulous inspiration, your first layout is so beautiful. I'm sorry you don't like it as much as the first try but wow! And then your most recent sketch, oh my what a treat to have a peek into your art journal. I'm so glad I started the Art Journal link party!

Have a great day my friend,


Beverly said...


Dorcas said...

Really really love your graphite drawing, fabulous!!

Rene said...

Wow! You are SO talented!
Thank you for playing along with us at Make it Monday! Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Rene :D

Reflections from Granny said...

Dana this took my breath away, I often wonder if folks here all my WOW, and Ooooo, Ahhhhh, and so forth. Stunning, I just so admire your work.

Hugs, Lori m

Michelle said...

Um -- WOW! Amazing work Dana, I'm so jealous you can draw! That is definitely a talent I was not graced with!

kurlygirl said...

Dana these are wonderful! I love the painted page and the graphite is incredible. WOW... I wish I could express what I'm thinking in words, but just wow!

Danni said...

Wowzers! You are just so talented!! I wish I had half your talent! LOVE these!! Wow!! Maybe I'll have you design my next tattoo if I ever get brave enough to do it..hehe!! Gorgeous work! And thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Maria said...

Wow, these are stunning! You are sooo talented! I just saw your art journal page on MIM. Love the graphite - the eyes are so real! Maria x

Brenda said...

Wow girl, you have some serious talent. I already knew that though!!! your graphite drawing with her hair is amazing. Your journal pages are so gorgeous. I love the painting and color and that butterfly tattoo on her shoulder. Stunning!!
Hugs my friend! Bren

Sally Morgan said...

Fabulous, colourful gorgeousness! You really are a very talented lady, so beautiful!
Thanks for joining us at Hooked on Craft Challenges.
*hugs* Sal x

Crystal said...

WOW WOW WOW Dana this is absolutely AMAZING, girl you are so uber talented!!! GORGEOUSNESS!!! Hope you are having a great summer sweetie!!!! I will def be around more now that my kiddos are back in school!!!! Have a great weekend HUGS!

Mandy said...

This is such a gorgeous page. I love the design and the image also. Thanks for joining us at Hooked On Crafts Challenge.
Mandy x

Celeste said...

such a beautiful journal

Anne Fenton said...

Dana your journals are beautiful...I'm not getting to far with mine
I love your 9 X 12 sketch...if is gorgeous..your are doing so grat at your portraits...

Renkata said...

wow this is sensational.

Linda w said...

These are the first of your art journal pages I've seen, looking forward to seeing more, they are beautiful. Love the graphite drawing too. Hugs lin

Colleen Holmes said...

Your art journal is just amazing! Love how you create everything so perfectly! The drawing is very, very good...hope to see more!

Stacey G.- 2 Craf-t-4u said...

Love seeing your journal pages Dana! You do an amazing job!

Sylvia said...

ohhh Dana, you're a true artist!!! LOVE your sketches and the art journal page is amazing ++wow++
hugs Sylvia

Tracey said...

beautiful pages Dana & your most recent drawing is stunning!

Gail said...

your art is beautiful!! wow what talent..
i am a new follower from the follow me forum at the "outlawz"
loves ya

Cathy P in AZ said...

All I can say is GORGEOUS! Your art is absolutely STUNNING. Jaw dropping stunning! :)

Lynne Armstrong said...

I'm speechless Dana...all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!!
Absolutely the graphite sketch too, you should be proud of it, it's fantastic :)
Hugs xx

Anniebee said...

She's gorgeous, Dana! Just popping by here to say hello and see what you have been up to lately. I can see you have been quite busy. I have a couple more comments to type before I leave but I wanted to tell you that I miss ya!

Hugs, Anniebee

Julie Richards said...

I have become a new follower today as i think your journal is outstanding and inspirational. You have truly inspired me to start drawing again.
Thanks for sharing
hugs julie