Thursday, August 11, 2011

Smell The Flowers - Art Journal Page

Well today another good friend took the Art Journaling plunge and I am sooooo proud of her! Look at Danni's amazing page here. I still struggle with just what it is about this that sucks you in but once you try it, you'll "get it". Danni had to overcome all the same fears I struggled with.  I bet you have the same ones:
  • I'm not an artist
  • I'm not good enough
  • I don't have the right supplies
  • Uugggh... how do you fill up the empty page : )
But, it is so much stinking fun!! Another good friend Sharette has started also and she altered a notebook she picked up at Michaels for $1.00! 
The page I am sharing today started life last week as a practice sketch and watercolor of the hydrangeas in a rusty watering can. (But it could have just as easily been collaged from a garden magazine).
The background is watercolors and acrylics. The rest is some vintage graphics I downloaded,  a few stamps, a doily, some pieces left over from some papers I created last month and some copper leaf. Oops, almost forgot about the prima flowers and rhinestones : ) I have found out (the hard way) that the gel medium leaves a resist so my lettering was very trying. But then again, it's not very evident in these pics but there's both pink and turquoise glitter glue smeared all over also. Ok, enough blathering.. here's a few close ups:

And one of my fav little bits:
hehe... that stamp has my name smack dang in the middle. That was so sweet of them.... lmbo!! If you watched my altered dominoes with copics video (on my tut's page) then you heard me say stamping on tissue paper and then glueing it down with gel medium makes the tissue paper transparent. Well those brownish, vintage looking bits were stamped on those cheap, brown napkins from McDonalds. I LOVE how it turned out and I think a whole page with that as the background will be in the works sometime soon. 
Ok, so who wants to take bets on who my next cohort will be? I have my money on Heather or Jane ; )
Yoo hoo, two more are showing interest!! You go Bren and Jan!! Oh and Ann too!! The more the merrier!!



Starla B. said...

WOW. Just wow. This is gorgeous!

Danni said...

It does suck you in! I am starting another page today-a little less "predictable" of me..hehe!!
Gorgeous pages, my friend!! I am really drawn to the colors you used, so pretty!

Patti J said...

Wow, Dana, this is fantastic! Love it - am going to have to find some time to give this a try!

Thanks for sharing!!!

kurlygirl said...

Dana I love your pages!!!! Love the McDonald's napkin, lol! That's all I need... I already hoard anything remotely crafty. My son's shorts have holes in them and I was thinking... what can I use camouflage on? LOL! Now I'm going to be running around swiping napkins!

I don't live anywhere near a craft store right now, but I had to make a trip to a larger town today. My route "just happened" to take me by a Joann's. I was thisclose to buying supplies for this. I don't know how much longer I can just think about it and talk about it before I do it! Danni's page is great... thanks for sharing the link in your post!

Heather :)

Ann said...

Hi Dana! Love your pages! I've just signed up for classes at Of course I signed up while I was away so had no supplies to get started, hahhaha. I'm taking Petite Doll's and LaLaLa, and I'm pumped to get started. Just wanted you to know you've got some more company. :)

Karenliz said...

Beautiful pages! I'm sucked in too! I love art journals.

julieprice3 said...

Very Pretty
Hugs Julie P

Lori m said...


Thank you for sharing your art journal, I just love, love what you're doing on it. Gorgeous work and thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving me the well wishes and I hope your daughter is feeling better too.

Hugs, Lori m

Roxann said...

Hey, Dana do'ed it! Miss ya, GF! Love these art books. Where does everyone find the time! I hope to post my before and after bath this weekend. I think I will post it in the craft room section.

Peggy T. said...

Dana, this is beautiful. I found you on Outlawz and am now following your blog.

Sheree said...

Dana.. Once again you have outdone yourself!! Wow!!!!!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Dana,
I love your newest art journal page! You're right we do all struggle with not feeling good enough or like an artist, but the supplies... oh ya we have those - lol we can fill an empty page :)

Hey, I think I'm you latest cohort... I started an art journal last week and have a couple pages done, guess I should blog about it soon :)

Have a great weekend my friend!


Brenda said...

Dana, I love, love, love this. I mean really, you are so very talented!! I am always amazed! I love how you brought this together. Hmmm, should I be offended you didn't put my name down as one of your friends that will jump in next? LOL!! I just might you know!!