Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Butterfly Fairy

Yoo hoo!! It's August and that means 5 more of my digi's have been released from Whimsy Stamps. 
I've done another mixed media project so get ready for lot's of pics : )
Here's the finished project and then we'll backtrack:
She's just hanging from the box of my antique quill pen for the sake of the pic.
Now for the process. First she was colored with copics:
I knew I wanted to color her wings like a monarch so what goes with orange? For me it had to be purple ; )
Next I covered a box of Crystal Light drink mix with text pages using matte medium. Mod Podge would work as well or any clear drying glue for that matter. I also tape down the top and bottom flaps before I start to collage. 
Then a coat of acrylic paint. You can wipe it back in some areas while it is still wet to let some of the text shine through.
Then I added some collaging images from papers and assorted sources that I wanted to shine through at the end. I have learned the hard way that my first layer (the text pages) tends to get obliterated so now I save the images I want to show through until this step.
Now I like to add a second color of acrylics and some circles by dipping a cap top in orange paint (sorry, I warned you.... lot's of pics). 
I also carried these colors and stamping to the sides since it has a high profile and will show when it is hanging on the wall.
This is one of my favorite ways to add some texture. This was a mesh bag from a purchase of some sort. My other favorite way is bubble wrap. I am using acrylic paint and stenciling through the bag but you could also use your glimmer mist or spray inks for a really cool effect.
Some distressing of the edges is just as awesome on mixed media projects as it is on cards! This pic gives you an idea of how little this box is.
All that is left was to add some words I created and printed. I distressed the edges of those also before glueing down and added some white gel pen highlights after the glue dried.  I also cut out my image and glued her down. If you used products that will react with the glue like distress inks you might want to apply a layer of clear gesso or your clear glue to act as a sealant before gluing down your colored image. 
I also added a beaded hanger out of twine and beads. I would suggest creating your hanger before you seal up your box. It just makes it easier : )
One final look before I added the beaded "hanger". 
I really like creating these little boxes and sitting them on shelves in my craft room/studio. You can give yourself little uplifting reminders and I also refer to them for colors, textures and patterns that I think worked well (or not.. lol)
God Bless you if you've hung out with me to end of this post and I hope you will take a look at my other images released today as well. 

Challenges:
Fab 'n' Funky Challenges - Anything but a card
Nutcrafters - Butterflies and bows
Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge - Butterflies and bows
Ruby's Rainbow - Anything but a card
Scrapbook Sisters - Things with wings
Incy Wincy Designs - Anything but a card

Hugs~
Photobucket

17 comments:

Tabbatha Sandoval said...

Oh Dana, I love it! I so love all the pictures, makes it seem doable for a novice like me. Thanks so much for the great inspiration. Loving your color choices!!

Trina said...

Lovely! You're the best for sharing your genius with us!

Pink Dandelion said...

Wow what a smashing project. Thank you for joining in with my challenge at Nutcrafters and good luck. Debs xx

Vicky said...

Beautiful, I love the colours and that gorgeous image. Thank you for the tutorial too. Thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky this week

hugs Vicky xxx

Danni said...

Fabulous project!!

Tracy said...

Awesome! I always learn so much about mixed media watching your vids. The new digis look awesome. :-) Hugs!

* Shaz * said...

Fabulous hanging art

Thank you for joining in the fun at Ruby’s Rainbow challenges for our * Anything but a card * challenge

Hope you will join us again
Hugs Shaz x

Chrizette said...

Lovely project! So cute. Thank you for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge Blog this time! Good luck in the Challenge.

Chrizette
DT Member
Celestial Things

PS I have a giveaway starting on my blog tomorrow if you would like to stop by.

Basslady said...

fabulous idea and a gorgeous colouring!

thanks so much for playing along with us at Ruby’s Rainbow Challenges!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo

Lorie a.k.a.The Peddler said...

Dana, you are such an inspiration. Your step-by-step instructions inspires me to the point where I feel like 'the little engine that could.' I think I can, I think I can. So, I plan to give this one a try. I'll let you know how it turns out. By the way, your tag is stunning:) Thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

Beautiful art work and fabulous colors and coloring.

Bunny said...

Hi

This is gorgeous, thanx for joining us at Penny's PaperCrafty, and good luck.

Caz xx PPC DT

Lisa Hall said...

This is just gorgeous Dana! Love your work and your videos!
I would like to "pin" this mixed media project on to one of my Pinterest Boards, but I want to ask your permission first. I will be sure to add your blog info, so that it will be credited properly.
Thanks so much for all the inspiration!
Lisa H.
lisastuf.blogspot.com

Bettina L. said...

Oh this is really a beauifully mixed media project and I love all the different textures and the sparkly image and your sentiment is lovely designed too. Thanks for playing at Incy Wincy and good luck. Hope to see you back monday for a new challenge. Bettina xx

Shari Nelson said...

This is really pretty, and awesome! I love the colors, and the art. Your gal image is beautiful. I am now following your blog...

Rach83 said...

Oh this is really lovely, Dana. I love your photo tutorial and the background is stunning. It must be so exciting to design digi's. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for playing along with us at Fab'n'Funky Challenges.

Rachel x

Jackie said...

What a darling project, I love the layering and the textures! Thank you for joining us this week at the Fab 'n' Funky Challenge!

Jackie, Fab 'n' Funky DT