Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chest of Drawers

Hi everyone!! I hope everyone is having a great day! I was able to finally finish a project I started last weekend. I was inspired to make a chest of drawers (without using the die) out of chipboard after seeing my good friend Jen making her's on Ustream. You can see her tutorial and print the template on her blog here. She's also done a more recent post making one out of Designer paper and smaller drawers. I made mine slightly larger to suit my storage needs:

I painted the base with burnt umber acrylic paints, then a layer of crackle medium and dried that with my heat tool. Then I added a layer of a turquoise color paint (actual paint is Tropical Bay Blue by Ceramcoat).  I distressed the entire thing with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut Stain. I didn't like the way the actual construction showed so I covered all of those edges with washi tape. Jen's tutorial shows how you can cut  separate drawer fronts to cover those but I was out of chipboard at this point, lol. 
The last finishing touch was to add the drawer pulls by Tim Holtz. I only bought as many as I needed and was frustrated when I got the packages home and opened them. It doesn't say on the package that they are assorted, which I don't mind the different colors as far as brass, copper, etc. but some of them were bright silver colored, not aged looking at all. If you look you can see one is colored up with alcohol inks until I can get to the store to buy some more. 
Can't wait to fill it up with some trinkets and what not's. 
Thanks so much for looking! Oh my goodness, blogger is still having fits!! So excuse any formatting issues. 

Challenges:
Crafty Creations - Move it
The Sisterhood of Crafters - No Stamps
Try It On Tuesdays - Anything Goes
Craft My Life - Anything Goes (no cards or layouts)
Pin and Tack - Anything Goes (thanks for the tip Corrinne) 


Hugs~
Photobucket

15 comments:

Sharla said...

Wow!!This is fantastic, and I LOVE the colors you used.

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

This is totally AWESOME Dana! What a wonderful project ... thanks for the links ... I'll be checking them out!!
Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood ‘NO STAMPS ALLOWED’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Harriet Hensley said...

your drawers are fabulous....I love the larger size and the way you painted it with crackle paint. IT just adds the what the piece needs.

thanks for sharing

Trina said...

Fantabulous!

Corrinne Quinn said...

Gorgeous and oh, so stunning creation! Thanks for sharing this on Crafty Creations!

Also, I invite you to join me at the Anything Goes Challenge here: http://pinandtack.blogspot.com/2012/09/spark-your-creativity-now-challenge-1.html

Lots of joy,
Corrinne

Karon said...

Fabulous colours love the crackle paint. Thanks for joining us Spark Your Creativity this month.

Terri said...

Hi Dana Thanks for coming http:\\morningdewdrops.com. Love these drawers and I've been browsing your blog and there's lots to enjoy. I'm so glad you still love the smell of crayons and that your creativity reflects it. Also love quote on upper sidebar. Blessings Terri

die amelie said...

Awesome! Perfectly done! The antique look seems so real!

die amelie x

My name is Cindy said...

Super project, you must have lots of patience! It really turned out well. Unfortunately you have entered too many challenges to be considered for our 'Top 5' but I hope we will see you again at TioT. Thanks for playing! Cindy

Tonya said...

Beautiful! I love the colors and you got a GREAT crackle. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Crafty Creations Challenges.

Lisa B said...

You enabler you!!! It's because of you my house won't be cleaned now!! This is fabulous...I will defintitely be checking it out...You did an amazing job putting this all together and distressing it.
Thanks for playing along with our No Stamps allowed challenge. Hope to see your craftiness in future challenges.

Angela Weimer said...

Such a fab project. And useful too! Love the color on the crackle. Reminds me of the seaside. Thanks for joining us at TIOT and have a great week. Angela

Micki said...

Ohh I love storage am so going to check out that video :-). I absolutely am amazed that these are made out of cardboard. Marvelous. Thank you so much for playing along with us here in the Sisterhood of Crafters for our No Stamps Allowed challenge!

sparklingblackrose said...

Dana, I have featured your beautiful creation on my blog, please check back tomorrow to see who is chosen by random.org to win and to see the details of the new challenge, I would love to see you join in again :-) Elaine Craft My Life All Crafts Challenge -xxx-

mark said...

Wow!!This is fantastic, and I LOVE the colors you used.you tell us that you don't use any die that was great thanks for sharing i see some very good designs here