Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Beaded Book Binding

Happy Halloween to those that celebrate it! I've been working on a new journal for a while after being inspired by Barb Owen's UStream videos. You can check those out here
I finally finished it up last night and if you are interested you can watch that on my very first Ustream here. Ustream is nothing like YT videos if you are not familiar with them. It is real time and we do a lot of chatting and have a lot of fun. You can "Follow" on there also and if I broadcast again you can join in the chatting fun. Otherwise you can view the recordings and fast through the boring bits.
Ok, on to pics of the journal:
This was created out of a Town House cracker box with die cuts from chipboard that were covered with sewing pattern papers. Then I painted with acrylic paints and added some dimension with metallic copper acrylics and also metallic gilders paste.
I chose to bead the binding while sewing in the signatures. It was a long and tedious process but I'm glad I did it. I love the way it turned out. Here's a close up of some of the beading:
No pattern other than repeating the copper seed beads.
The closure is a polymer clay cabachon with micro beads on the sides. Here's a close up of the bead:
I learned the technique in Donna Kato's book The Art of Polymer Clay
Thanks so much for looking!

Hugs~
Photobucket

2 comments:

Kimber said...

That turned out so awesome! Love the beading and the cabochon. You did a great job - what a creation!

barb said...

Wow, Dana! Love the bead binding and the cabochon. Who would imagine that a cracker box could be so beautiful?!!