Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Prismacolor Pencil Caddy


For a long time now I've wanted to come up with a better way to store my Prismacolor pencils. I use them continually and they are always out on my desk. When I first got them I kept them in the original tin because I really do like them seperated into color families. But that got old quick. Then I tried rubber banding them in like colors and keeping in a container. That got old too just because it was a pain to put them back. So I had a play yesterday and I am super excited with what I came up with:
OOhhh, I just LOVE it!! I didn't take pics along the way of the construction because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.
One of the my "had to include" was the smaller section in the front for my stumps and pencils that are getting really small. It worked out there is even room to keep my reading glasses. 

I had originally planned on using paper tubes leftover from paper towels but was too impatient to wait. So after a call to the hubs he reminded me of the plastic tubes (he has a ton of them!!) that he uses in his golf bag. They look like this:
One tube was enough for the entire project. I also had another awesome discovery. My wood burning kit that I've had for years has a hot knife attachment!! It made cutting these babies to size a breeze!
So here's a few close ups:
Just a shot of one of the empty tubes so you can see how they are nestled down in there.

And a final shot of the dangley's I added to the front. After all I will be looking at it all the time so it might as well be pretty!
Thanks so much for looking and if there is any interest in a tutorial, let me know and I'll see what I can do. 

Edit added especially for Lynn =o)
To create the box itself:
From medium chipboard cut
2 @ 6"x 3" for the sides
1 @ 6"x 3 3/4" for the bottom
2 @ 3"x 3 3/4" for front/back
You will also need the following structure strips. You can watch my friend Jen's video here to see how to create those. She is making a completely different project but in the first few minutes she shows how to create the structure strips. The only difference is I only did mine 1" wide.
2 @ 6"
2 @ 3 3/4"
4 @ 3"
After I added my structure strips to the bottom and all sides to create my box I cut the following shape for the little box on the front:

I am not sure how that file will save for you but as long as the front and back section are 3 3/4" you should be good to go or obviously you can adjust to fit your needs.  Also, I forgot one score line at the end of that long skinnier portion. You can sort of see where it should be scored, right at the points where it tapers.
I hope that helps until I can get a proper tutorial together.




Hugs~
Photobucket

11 comments:

Myrta_R_Harris said...

WOW!!!! This is totally cool Dana! Wish you had a tutorial for this!

happyDiane said...

very clever caddy!! The tubes you used from your hubby's golf bag, where does he get them from? Always looking for things that will cut easy.

SiskiyouSue said...

This is great! I think I'll have to make myself one. Thanks for the idea.

jimlynn said...

Dana, I WANT THIS!!!!! What a great idea! I get so tired of moving that tin all around my desk! I don't have any tubes like that but if I'm not mistaken they probably make PVC that small too........off to the hardware store I go!!! Thanks for the inspiration and love the way you decorated this!
Lynn

jimlynn said...

Oh....now I just need to know how you did the box!!!!!
Lynn

jimlynn said...

I just e-mailed you a "thank you", but will give you another BIG THANK YOU here!
lynn

Barbara said...

What a great idea! You are so clever. Will have to try this when my craft room is complete:)

Kathleen said...

Love the idea of the tubes. My tin box is so big for my small space so your fab idea came in handy. Thanks for the inspiration.
Kathleen x

Harriet Hensley said...

Wow Dana what a fantastic idea...

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

fun caddy!!

Martha Slavin said...

Dana,
That's a great idea for a caddy. Thanks!