Thursday, October 25, 2012

Treasure Trinkets

Howdy, howdy!!! Remember when I was deconstructing watches a while back and made my Gramma's watches into a bracelet? If not you can see it here. Other than my wedding ring I think it is my favorite piece of jewelry I've ever owned. Well as a result of that project I obviously ended up with a lot of parts. Last night I started playing with some things I could do with them. One turned out great, the other, eh. It will be awesome though once I work out the kinks. 
Here's a pic of the one that I think turned out:
I tried every photography trick known to man and cannot get it to photograph as well as it looks in real life. But, wow, this was a lot of fun!! I used the watch casings to create a little collage of bits and pieces. There's some old music paper, a stone out of some vintage costume jewelry, a piece of a broken earring, an old sewing closure. I don't have any copper eye pins so I inked them with caramel alcohol ink. Seems to have done the trick.
Here's a close up of just the trinket part:
HHHmmm, may have to give the stainless casing a hit of alcohol ink. But then again, I like eclectic looking things so I may just leave it alone.

I am playing along with the Artists in Blogland Fall Fearless and Fly challenge.
There are certain prompts and criteria for this challenge so here's my response to those:
I took a leap of faith by trying to figure this out on my own. I've done jewelry in the past but it's a challenge to use stainless steel since you can't solder. I love how it turned out and I learned that contact cement helped solve that issue.
As strange as it sounds my least favorite (or I should say used) are blue and green. I lean towards purples, reds and browns. 
As far as the quote prompt, lol!! I was definitely on a wild goose chase coming up with all of these bits and pieces!


Thanks for looking!!


Hugs~
Photobucket

10 comments:

Felicia said...

I love it! Especially all the copper. Man I hate photographing shiny things too. Its almost impossible lol. Glare here, reflection there and everything under the shine is eh. But I think you did great! You can really see the colors in it! *hugs* =0)

Marcia said...

Great jewelry! very cool! Thanks for sharing with FF&F!

missy k said...

It's beautiful..... your wild goose chases ended well!

Karenx

Harriet said...

That is awesome, Dana.....

NatashaMay said...

This really looks fantastic! I love how it's looks like it's caught in there forever.:)

Ellie said...

That is a beautiful piece of jewellery. How awesome that you were to immortalise important pieces in a necklace. How did you make the bezel for it?

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

That's a stunning piece of jewelry. Blessings!

clare said...

what a fabulous trinket i love it. x

Za faran said...

Lovely looking trinket. You've just don wonders with the left over parts of watches!

Carolyn Dube said...

This is a wonderful piece of jewelry! I've used alcohol inks to save me too! So glad you shared this with Fall Fearless and Fly!