Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Advent Calender

Hi all! I hope everyone is having a great month.  I've been a little behind on blogging but have been crafting a lot. I was recently inspired to create an advent calender after viewing my friend Mitzi's ustream show where she was creating what she dubbed "The Tower of Terror".  I tried making mine from TP rolls and somehow my drawers ended up being too long. At that point it was easier to create the drawer frames than to remake the drawers. Thank goodness for another friend Jen's mini chest of drawer tutorial!! And a thank you for Diane too for giving me the tip to use white posterboard! Love it!!
I will leave the building tutorials to the experts but here's some pics of my completed Advent Calender for Josh:
I used Festive Treats 6x6 papers by First Edition left over from my icopic (now MarkerPop) DT days. I don't see this particular paper in the store now but lots of other cuties!! I love how small the images are, perfect for these little drawers!!

The knobs are inspired by Felica aka Mouse Potato Designs.  Isn't this brilliant???  It's a brad through an upside down eyelet. Perfect!!!
Because some of my drawers are a little snug I opted to use some seam binding across the back that I've colored with my copics (YG23). That way the ones that need a little coaxing can be pushed out from the back instead of pulling so hard on the knobs. Once I added the frame it has a nice finished look. 
Once again I opted for the crackled paint.
And to finish it off just stacked and glued (glossy accents) buttons for the feet. 
I am so glad I got this done in plenty of time for the first of December. 
Thanks so much for looking and if I am not back before then I hope all my US friends have a wonderful Thanksgiving =0)
If you are interested here are the sizes for my drawers and frames:
Drawers: 4 3/4" x 3 3/4" for drawers
score at 1 1/4" and 3 1/2" (long side) turn, score
1 1/4" and 2 1/2" Then cut little notches as shown here:

Drawer Framers: 5 5/16" x 2 1/4"
Score at 1 3/8", 2 5/8" and 4"
But please, do a test run with the first one before you cut and construct them all. Or, better yet, save some aggravation and get a die, lol!!

Hugs~
Photobucket

3 comments:

Sara I. said...

So good to see you creating !! You've done an amazing job on this - love the papers and all that sparkle! I've wanted to do one of these for some time now, and you've just inspired me to finally do one! Hope all is well on your end - have missed you! xx

Sandra van Blaricum said...

This looks so great Dana!!
hugs,Sandra

Harriet Hensley said...

Absolutely fabulous..... I might just have to make one....