Friday, November 16, 2012

Fin Styled Canvas

Ok, so it's not a REAL canvas but my version of one. It's a recycled box that is covered with text, design and homemade papers. So let me start at the beginning. I've been blown away by the artist Anna Dabrowska aka Finnabair. In particular by this canvas
Last night my friend Jen did a gorgeous canvas on Ustream. Watching her work through the process really gave the courage to give it a try. Thanks Jen (and Eileen!!) =0)

This is what it looked like before the spray inks, etc:

I had visions of keeping the colors light and shabby chic. That never works out for me, lol! At this point she got a generous coating of gel medium to make sure all those goodies stayed glued down. Then I covered all but her face with a light coat of gesso. I KNOW!! It was so scary to do. But after that the fun began with spray inks.
I like how she looked before the gesso and sprays too so I might do another one with that look as well.
I didn't take any pics of the spraying, etc. process but I did record it on UStream. You can see that here.
Here are few close ups:




Here's the products I used:
Vintage graphic from Graphics Fairy (I believe, it's where I get most of my collage elements)
Assorted text, Design and homemade papers
Mesh tape
Foil tape
The Paper Studio Typewriter Alpha Embossing Folder
Matte Medium
Gesso
Both purchased and handmade flowers
Micro Beads
Assorted found items and charms
Homemade spray inks (I use Tulip Fabric Dye making small portions following manufacturers directions and putting into travel size misters.)
Pearl Ex powders
Gilders Paste

Thanks for looking!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Heather Santos said...

Wow! This is incredible!!! I'm behind on my blog reading, but saw this pop up on Facebook. I skimmed through the vid and plan to go back and actually watch it... beautiful, beautiful! Gives me ideas!

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow this is gorgeous
Lisa x

Patti J said...

OHMYGOSHDANA!!! This is a fabulous creation! If you'll teach a class after the holidays, I'll drive up and pay to attend! Wowzers, dear friend, I can't stop looking at the photos! Beautiful!

Judy said...

Whoa! Glad you're brave enough to try this. It's really breathtaking.

:)
Judy

Evik said...

OMG! No words for that pice of work!!! I hope I make something like that one day.

Thanh Vo said...

Real canvas or not, it's flipping gorgeous Dana!!!!! Absolutely stunning. I'm sooo glad that you picked up the mixed media route, you've been making such fab stuff.

Carla said...

absolutely gorgeous- and loved watching you make it! I need to get brave and try one myself!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anniebee said...

This is just beautiful, Dana! Just wanted to drop in for a moment and say hello and wish you and your family a bright and happy holiday season.

Hugs, Anne