Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mixed Media ATC

I was lucky enough to recently attend an Art Retreat with a group of online friends from across the USA and Canada. Special hugs and thanks to my good friend Annette for generosity which still leaves speechless and teary eyed! 
The event (and believe me, it was an event!!) was arranged by Bren aka Elegant Tangle . One of the requirements was to create an ATC. I am now the very PROUD owner of 18 pieces of artwork from some of the most beautiful, talented, crazy ladies  I have ever met and I am thrilled to be able to call them REAL friends. 
So back to my ATC.... allergies getting to me... ya' know.... watery eyes.. must be the pollen ;)
I created the papers I used for the background in a totally mixed media fashion. But the most memorable part,  this was the first time I played with the acrylic inks that another great friend, Robin, sent me.  They are  FW Acrylic Inks by Daler Rowney. I don't think I have cracked open a quarter of what these puppies can do! Here's a close up :
 The backgroud was created with emerald green, cyan blue and Indigo leaving some white spaces. The frog was just then drawn on with a dip pen and black india ink. Then I just darkened up the background to make the frog stand out. Just a little coloring was added to his head, eyes and front hands (right??? frogs have hands, certainly not paws?) . I mixed flame red and lemon yellow to get that awesome bright orange. 
Well, that's about it. Just wanted to share my ATC. Certainly not what I normally create. I hate to say "not my style" because I have a very eclectic style so this fits in there somewhere. 
Thanks for stopping by!

Challenges:
Anything but a Card - ATC Extravaganza
Amusing Challenges - Anything Goes ( I hope it's ok this isn't a card. Couldn't find the rules.)
Creative Inspirations Paint - Anything Goes



Hugs~
Photobucket




12 comments:

Carol B. said...

Love my froggie atc. Austin was a blast.

Jamie Lynn said...

Beautiful... just between you & me I love mine more ;-)

xoxo

DarcieGlam said...

I looove the little froggy - you are so talented! It was fantastic getting to meet you in person.

Marilyn said...

I don't know about this being your 'style' Dana but it's pretty terrific if you ask me. I love that frog... I do like frogs anyway, but as frogs go, this one is fab!

Sandra Strait said...

Lovely!

MaxineD said...

Love it - stunning work Dana!!
Blessings
Maxine

Lisette Baker said...

This is such a fun ATC. I love the background you have created but your frog is definitely the star of the show - so cute. Thanks for joining in at Anything But A Card this time. Lisette x

Judy said...

Sounds like you had a super fun time. The froggie is so cute, and you are so talented at this mixed media stuff!

xo

Chris said...

wow, it's such an incredible piece - love the colors. Sounds like a grand time too! Thanks for playing with my Amusing Challenge this week...I'm really glad you did!

Rosie Schirrmeister said...

This is a fabulous ATC, Dana

Jennie Atkinson said...

Such a wonderful ATC Dana - your background is quite amazing, what a wonderful way to use DR inks and your hand drawn frog quite a little star! Thanks for joining us at ABAC x

Julia S-W said...

Wonderful ATC Dana! I love the frog you have drawn - he's super! Your background works brilliantly and I may be persuaded to get some of these DR Inks now I've seen your work. Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But A Card this time.
Juliax