Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hydrangea and Finch Mixed Media Painting

What's this? TWO posts in one day? That hasn't happened since my DT days! BUT it has felt so good to be in my art room yesterday afternoon and this morning! 
I'm sure you've all heard me sing the praises of Paint My Photo before but I will say it again... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this site! I am so grateful to the amazing photographers that have the skill and equipment to provide me with enough inspiration to keep me painting for the rest of my life. PMP (Paint my Photo) is a ning so you have to join. But I promise you, they do not spam and have one of the BEST, no... THE best newsletters for artists / photographers around. 
I was inspired by this amazing photo. Thank you Cynthia!!!
And here is the piece I created:

I cannot tell you how excited I was to watch this piece evolve. I had not intended to do a nature scene. Last night I made the background with DecoArt Americana acrylics, Neo II's and some home made ink sprays created from FW Acrylic Inks. When I began I had every intention of doing a face but after looking at it and channeling (joke of course) Mystele and her Gut Art ways I was seeing mounds of Hydrangea and soft greenery. 
Here's a look:
At this point I had sketched in the bird and main hydrangea.  I also had added some masking fluid which really proved unnecessary but oh well. 
The rest was done with Winsor and Newton watercolors and a few fine details added with Prismacolor Pencils.  Here's a close up:
You ever have a moment after a piece is done when you just want to jump up and down and pump your fists in the air? Me either... lol! But this one comes darn close! All of my favorite subject matters and products alive on one piece. 
Thanks for looking and please head over to Mystele's to find out more about Soul Food as well as her Gut Art classes.



Annette McCarty said...

This is SO beautiful! You are one amazingly talented friend o' mine. I love it and you!

Carol B. said...

Beautiful! I love the background it works wonderfully with flowers and bird.
You are so talented.

Darcy UK said...

so gorgeous, thanks for the photography link, heading there now xxx

Myrta_R_Harris said...

Girl you need to start streaming and showcasing this talent of yours! OMG is all I can say. Just so beautiful darlin!

Harriet Hensley said...

Gorgeous ..... Muse was right on this one... LOL

sweetpea1030 said...

Love that hydrangea painting, Darcy. I wish I was so talented. Thanks for the inspiration.

sweetpea1030 said...

Love that hydrangea painting, Darcy. I wish I was so talented. Thanks for the inspiration.

Deb Packwood said...

Dana, this is so beautiful! I love it! [[hugs]]

MaxineD said...

Love it!! This is stunning Dana!!