Sunday, December 8, 2013

Long Neck Lady

We've had snow and ice this week and while everyone else was outside sledding I was inside drawing and painting. I DID go outside to watch Josh (grandson) for a few but the fireplace was going, football is on TV and that sounded more my speed. Well, enough for football... lol!  I put on my headphones and watched my friend Laurel stream on Ustream
So this is another page in my journal with the pages that were already painted when the book was made. I am really loving this process because I can just draw and paint and not have to devote excess time to creating the backgrounds for each page. Not only that but just looking at this journal makes me happy! I love it even more each time I touch it :)

I've heard some contrary comments on beaded bindings and them being in the way when you paint or draw but I have not found that to be the case. You can see a few more pics on the post here but I have to warn you that the links to Ustream are no longer valid due to storage and policy issues/changes on UStream. 
 So enough with the backstory, here's today's painting:
Products used:
Daler Rowney Gesso

I'm a huge proponent of using what you have. It took me years to build up my collections of pencils, crayons and markers. I began buying my necessary colors from open stock (for me it is always flesh tones..lol) and adding when I could. So if for the time being if all you have is your kids colored pencils GO FOR IT!! That's where I started too =0)

Hugs~
Photobucket

5 comments:

Bridget said...

I love the angle and the long neck. So beautiful.

Maxine D said...

Sweet image Dana and I love the way you have executed it. The background is so beautifully soft and mellow too.
Blessings
Maxine

Jamie Lynn said...

you know I love tilted heads & long'ish necks

What size is your book & your paper size prior to folding for the signatures?

I watched your video, but I guess I missed where you said

xoxo

Patti J said...

You are amazing, and I totally love the beads! Stay warm!

Anne Fenton said...

Dana I love your portrait ... you honestly should start doing portraits on a commission bases ... you rock my friend.... XXXOOO