Friday, May 30, 2014

Stay Rooted

I created this for a grad in our family. I really struggled with what I wanted to do at first. Because it was supposed to be a 12x12 page and going in a scrapbook album I was getting hung up on that term "scrapbook". I was thinking photo, embellishments, die cuts, the whole sha-bang. Then I received some great advise to just make a piece of art and she (my niece) will love it. I sure hope so!! 
My whole inspiration (other than my love of nature and trees in general) was the thought of reaching for the stars but keeping our feet firmly planted in our roots. Here's the finished page:

I started with a collaged background and my first step was to scrape on some DecoArt Texture Fiero in Iron Brown. Oh man.... I LOVE, LOVE this stuff!!! 
The browns are the color of the Fiero and the royal blue and turquoise are the paints I scraped on with a palette knife. The reds and oranges you see peeking through are the collaged papers. The white is my drawing sketched in with white charcoal. 
At this point I painted in the moon and layed out my paints for the negative painting. I used DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics. I hadn't really decided what colors I wanted to use but once I got going it was basically just Dioxazine Purple and Burnt Umber. 

I added some sketchy lines with a Stabilo Marks All pencil and some white spatters.  
Oops, forgot to mention how awesome that DecoArt Texture Fiero looks through a stencil. I used Crafters Workshop 6x6 Flower Quarter stencil
And TaDa, here's the finished page one more time:
I wrote a note on the back since I just didn't have the heart to add words to the front. 
Thanks for swinging by and DEFINITELY check out the DecoArt Fiero as well as the Media Fluid Acrylics! Oh, and the turquoise I used for scraping is my trusty "go to" color Blue Bahama.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend! 



Eileen said...

Oh Dana this is wonderful. Way ta go gal

Jamie Lynn said...

It's beautiful, I'm sure she will love it


Maxine D said...

What a stunning work of art - I am sure it will be treasured!

Lorie a.k.a.The Peddler said...

Dana, I call always find inspiration when I visit your blog and today is no different. Love your rooted tree.