Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Nature Walk

So I've been dabbling with abstracts for a while now and well, why don't we just get to the pics?
I started with an 8x8 piece of collaged watercolor paper. I collaged the front and back to give it more ooomph because I knew I wanted to add a layer of plaster:
Then I gave it a good slathering of plaster:
Once it started to set up a little I added some textures with a color shapers and by pressing some of that non slip shelf liner stuff into it. I also incised some lines with my palette knife. 
Then on to color:
I used heavy body paints and then gave it a coat of matte gel medium to seal everything in. While the matte gel was still setting up I did some more mark making for added textures.
I have had this feather for a while that my grandson and I found on a walk along with some sticks with lichen growing on them. I LOVE lichen. I baked the sticks at 200 degrees for a few hours just to "sanitize" them:
I love this because it evokes so many memories for me. Here's a few close ups:

I just may have to do a larger one similar to this but for now, this makes me happy!
Thanks for swinging by and Happy Arting 
( ^◡^)っ✂❤



Maxine D said...

What a fun and innovative piece of art Dana - love the colours and textures.

froebelsternchen Susi said...

This is such an awesome piece also that natural elements you added and thank you for sharing the process with us as well.. fab thing to plaster over the papers..I did it over fabric and canvas-- why not over papers.. fab! maybe I give this a try.... sounds and looks so interesting!

Roz Willoughby said...

I love this Dana...I want to have a try at abstracts too...I just collected some gum leaves and now I have some ideas...thank you!