Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Poppy Page and Pen Play

Hi guys! I am slowly (and I mean s l o w l y ) getting back into the swing of things as far as creating some art. Granted, only in my journal but that satisfies my need for creating. 
I had started this page a while ago but since getting my new set of Caran d'Ache Supracolor Soft Aquarelles (wow, that's a mouthful!!!) I decided to have a play. And a note on the pencil set, I waited for a really good sale at Dick Blick (check for coupons on RetailMeNot) and ended up getting $30 Off!!!!
 I always encourage anyone I tell about supplies (especially pencils and water soluable crayons) to buy a few from open stock and give them a test run. I bought my first 12 or so Caran d'Ache watercolor pencils 3 or 4 years ago and fell in love with them. They are highly pigmented, melt like butter when activated with water and can also be used like a colored pencil to add fine details. LOVE THEM!!! The only thing I've noticed is that if using them on a mixed media page like this any gel mediums need to be thoroughly dry before you can apply the pencils over them (unless you do the wet paint brush to the tip of the pencil to apply). 
My other play yesterday was to get out my Elegant Writer pen and play with some stamps. I first used the Elegant Writer for practicing calligraphy but  after watching a workshop on watercolors a few years ago taught by Karlyn Holman I learned it has many more uses!! Now Karlyn has a free video demonstrating the process through Cheap Joes. Definitely check it out and also check out Paula Phillips aka Journalista on Ustream. Paula is taking a whole new spin on what you can do with these pens in mixed media art.
I decided to ink a stamp with my black Elegant Writer and stamp onto 140 lb. cold pressed water color paper: 
 The one on the left I activated by spritzing with water. The one on the right I activated with a brush and water.  I actually like the ones I was stamping off the excess ink on scrap watercolor paper the best:
Such beautiful shades of blues, purples and pinks!!! And the awesome thing about these pens are once that ink is activated with water it is permanent. 
If you are interested in seeing more art using this miracle pen just google, lol! That's how I found Louise Christian on Pinterest. I think you will be inspired by her work as well! 
Amazing how a $2 pen can open the flood gates of inspiration!!
Happy Arting =0)


Trina said...

Oh, look! A box to click to say that I'm not a robot! :D It really is the little things some days... Missing you!!

Ann said...

Hi Dana,

Beautiful work!!!

Maxine D said...

So glad to see you 'arting' again - I love your work.

Jamie Lynn said...

a very happy page to be sure


ps I miss you my dear friend

sweetpea1030 said...

Hi Dana,
Always know I'm going to be delighted. Love the poppies.