Friday, June 19, 2015

Font Play

Hi guys and dolls! Sometimes I have episodes that keep me from my art space. During those times I create what I call "Armchair Art". I know I'm not alone, it's just a fact as we age that we have some good days and some not so good days. But unless I am so sick I cannot lift my head (thank the Lord that rarely happens!) I still have the desire to create. That's when a good sketchbook project comes in handy. A lot of the time I just spend it sketching, period. I recently came across this guest spot by Megan Wells (aka Makewells) on Alisa Burkes blog http://alisaburke.blogspot.com/2015/01/introduction-to-lettering.html. She mentioned in one of the posts (be sure to read the whole series, it's Wonderful!!) that creative lettering is more like drawing than calligraphy. That was a serious AHA moment for me! So I grabbed my cheap composition book with graph paper and started practicing! I have no idea why I started with C but now I've decided to work through the alphabet.



Most of them I sketched out in pencil first, then went over with pen (I'm using Microns) and then erased my pencil lines.  Be sure to check out Megan's own website as well http://www.makewells.typepad.com/. If you decide to play along be sure to use Megan's hashtag  #redefinecreativelettering. 
I'll be posting them on Instagram. If you are on IG look me up (link in sidebar). I'd love to see what you are up to as well =0)
As always, thanks for stopping by and happy arting! 
Hugs~
Photobucket

2 comments:

Maxine D said...

Dana these are fabulously creative - unfortunately for my it is my dominant hand that is currently swearing at me, so reading has to be my choice for down time - hopefully that will be sorted soon..
Love your A page, especially the doodle art ones at the bottom of the page.
Blessings
Maxine

Pallavi Iyer said...

Your lettering turned out beautiful.I so want to be good at lettering/calligraphy but I always chicken out.Your work is inspiring.