Saturday, October 10, 2015

Guest Designer for Paper Artsy

Hey guys!! I am so thrilled to have been asked to be a guest designer for Paper Artsy.  I wanted to try something new after going through a spell where I had created a slew of ATC's over the course of a few months. Many, many (many)  moons ago I was really into Pyrography or wood burning as I casually call it.  When Darcy asked me I thought this might be the perfect time to pull out my wood burning tool, sketchpad and the gorgeous JOFY stamps and see what I could come up with.  

By stamping the flowers and butterfly on the tracing paper I could easily move the images around under my sketch to determine placementt.

Once I was happy with the placement I traced the stamped images onto my sketch and then transferred everything to my wooden plaque with graphite paper. Hint: lacking graphite paper you can just take your pencil and scribble on the back side of your sketch. You only have to scribble where the lines are.

Now let the fun begin!!! My particular wood burning tool has interchangeable tips. Like anything else it's easier to start slowly and build up layers or thickness of the lines. I also embrace the primitive lines that sometimes occur when you hit a knot in the wood itself.

Tada!!! Obviously this took some time. I think it was most of the day off and on. Sometimes the tool itself gets so hot that it helps to unplug it for awhile then resume later.

I knew I wanted the wood aspect to shine through so I chose just Beach Hut and Autumn Fire which I watered down and used like a watercolor or stain.

That Beach Hut is one of my favorite colors so I taped off the edges to keep a nice crisp edge:

The finishing touches were to collage her shirt and add highlights with Snowflake to the flowers. (I created the color in her cheeks with a watercolor pencil).  And I also noticed she could use a few more butterflies (who couldn't?)

Thanks so much Leandra, Darcy and the rest of Paper Artsy Team to allow me to play in your sandbox for the day!! Now make sure and head over and have a play in the challenge and check out their awesome stamps.

On a personal note this will be my last post for quite some time.  Some issues have come up with my mom that require me to be out of state (and no internet!!!) not to mention sans most of my art supplies. Thank God for adult coloring books! And since I am posting this on my phone I can't for the life of me figure out how to delete these pics below so let's just roll with it xx


Trina said...

Wonderful! You and mom take care!

Joi at RR said...

What a wonderful creation Dana. So fun to see how the paper products work so well with the wood burning to make a really fab design. Your gal is just sooo artsy and her butterfly entourage is just lovely. Really enjoyed your guest designer presentation! j.